I’m back! With bunnies

TyroneOfSix
Newly Hatched Chick

I’m back! With bunnies

Post by TyroneOfSix » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:57 am

Hi everyone!

I haven’t been on for a while I had made a big introduction and had been planning on getting some waterfowl ducks/geese.

So update. I picked some New Zealand x Flemish Giant bunnies instead! I’ve had them since early December. I got them from an 8y.o kid trying to raise money to buy a pony over Kijiji lol. Here I was, I spent like 2 months overthinking and tirelessly researching rabbit rearing for meat and there’s this kid managing her own herd 🤣 haha! I learned a lot in few minutes during the purchase

So I have two does and a buck. They aren’t breeding yet but I am concerned I think they are all siblings and I don’t think this bodes well for genetics, so I think I’m in the market for another buck and another lady for my current buck

Brown doe - Brown Shuga
White doe - White Shuga
White buck - Vanilla Ice

They are very docile and fairly calm I’ve grazed them periodically in a makeshift grazing pen

Anyways I do still want some fowls but I’m trying to figure out good accommodations. Again probably over thinking it but but I’ve come to learn that’s just how I operate lol

Hope everyone had wonderful holidays and happy new year!

And I am in the market for some:
dual purpose chickens
Muscovy ducks
Domestic Geese

If anyone’s got any they are willing to sell or set up a trade for bunnies once the breeding/rearing commences

Stay safe

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: I’m back! With bunnies

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:02 pm

My Dad used to raise meat bunnies in a tiny London house in the back "garden". He didn't seem to have many problems and they were very tasty.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:10 pm

Hi there, we used to raise Californians for meat and Angora rabbits for wool.
I wouldn't worry about the sibling bit, since they are a cross already, there is plenty of genetic material to start with.
The two colours should give you fun colours in babies :)

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:55 pm

When I was a kid we had some New Zealand/ Flemish Giant cross rabbits that were siblings. The people we got them from said they were both males. :) They had 2 litters as soon as they were old enough - one with 7 kits and one with 9.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:07 pm

My nephew would know better but I think they had 4 rabbits and they bred them and I remember him saying something like you can't breed this with that. If he was right, then maybe the minimum would be 4? :lol: Also, he said that he was getting way more money selling the rabbits as pets than as meat!
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:23 pm

Guess you will have to wait til Easter, but let us know what their eggs are like.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

TyroneOfSix
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by TyroneOfSix » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:39 pm

Thank you everyone!

Return to “Furred Friends”