Giardian dog article

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Giardian dog article

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:16 am

Read this this morning. Very knowledgeable and well written and not to drippy or lengthy.

Ranger, that most here will be familiar with from other posts, was a Pyrenese Lab cross. He showed all the traits of the Pyrenese, and was tempered by the Lab wanting to please. Just right nature for us and a few goats and chickens. I can't say enough about what a wonderful dog he was for us. But the wanting to patrol and guard, and therefore having to get out of the yard is what got him killed on the road.

Anyway, I thought this article was pretty informative for anyone considering a livestock dog. It says, and I agree, if you get this kind of dog. or a Border or heeler or Australian shepherd, they must have work to do or they will not be happy and you wont be happy.

https://www.thestar.com/life/2021/12/21 ... y-pet.html
Attachments
2019 Ranger Cinco.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Giardian dog article

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:34 am

Great article. We sometimes see the SPCA here put up a Pyreness or similar for family home and that doesn't turn out well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Re: Giardian dog article

Post by lolotsung » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:21 pm

Our childhood friend had a Great Pyrenees as a pet. It slept most of the day. Wonderful dog. Our Lab barks any time of the day and night he won't let any animal on the property. I trained him to protect the chickens. So he wakes us up in the middle of the night regularly. If a person does not like this then that would be a problem...
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Return to “Furred Friends”