Information about to be a rabbit owner - HELP!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

about to be a rabbit owner - HELP!

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:57 pm

So, responded to an ad on Kijiji for a rabbit that needed re-homing/was being harrassed by resident cats. I should not have been on Kijiji today.
Apparently we are the perfect re-home for her and we will be picking her up tomorrow. I know next to nothing about rabbits ... this is an indoor bunny who has a litter box. Can she do outdoors in an enclosure on grass during the warmer months? Does she need hay? Can I feed her microgreens/fodder? (I am excited to meet her, BTW).
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: about to be a rabbit owner - HELP!

Post by kenya » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:33 am

Yes she can go outdoors in the warmer weather, she doesn't need hay but they like a bit. They love grapes, crackers, melon/ fruit , greens, in addition to their pellets.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:15 am

Oh what fun! I hear that rabbits make great pets!

Thank you for taking her in :).

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am

You won't find it much different then your poultry in balancing fresh grass and greens in small doses (they tend to scour with too much greenery at once), in the beginning balanced with dry feed and bit of hay for fibre will keep their digestive system healthy. Rabbit pellets available at the pet store go a long way when supplemented by home goodies.
Caution when free ranging at home, they sometime chew cables.
We will need pictures :)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:07 am

Also wild rabbit waste is not good for house bunnies to lick , sniff or digest . Something in it will kill them . Yes bunnies chew all type of cords & wood products in house .Luck
Last edited by ross on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks, all of you, for all your good advice and suggestions. I have recruited DH to cover up all wiring that will be in reach for her when she's free-ranging in the living room. ;-)
We've arranged to go pick her up at lunch time. I'm working from home so it's a work day, but I didn't want to wait until after work to pick her up. I'll make a stop at the local feed store on the way home with her...for feed and hay.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:30 am

One thing I forgot to mention, when rabbits are feeling happy and exuberant, they will jump straight up, surprisingly high, especially the small Lop breeds. ;)

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:35 pm

You may have to cut her nails on a regular basis. They likely won't wear off in the house. I use a large toenail clipper for my dwarf rabbit. If yours is a bigger one you will probably have to use a dog nail clipper. She will also need wood or branches to chew to wear her teeth down. It may be better to buy a small bag of pellets than the large ones from the feed store. They will be fresher if you use them up faster. I buy Great Value rabbit pellets from Walmart. I have bought the Gourmet rabbit feed that has oats and dried carrots and things, but she didn't eat a lot of the colored stuff and it costs more than plain pellets. I just add a few whole oats, black oil sunflower seeds, and corn that I have for the chickens, then feed her fresh foods and hay as well.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 pm

I had pet rabbits when I was about 11-12 years old. They were outside all year.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:18 pm

received_2957601447664668.jpeg
Here she is. Still very shy and cautious. It will be better tomorrow. We have named her Lila, abbreviation and reversal of her official name, Lavender Lightning ... So Lightning Lavender, Li- la.

Return to “Furred Friends”