a DOG dilema........

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

a DOG dilema........

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am

So here we are at a cross roads, the last dog aging (and so are his house mates) and I would like to overlap him with a younger dog.

DH - no more dogs, it's too hard when you loose them and what would happen to the dog if something hapenned to us.
both legitimate concerns.

ME - don't ever want to be without a dog, we have fenced runs, so even if we couldn't walk far, there would always be room for them to run.
We have adult children who could be called on to look after a dog temporarily, or possibly permanently.

That brings me to the next question, and I realized this is a loaded one.
I have narrowed down the breeds to Golden retriever or a lab, but leaning to Golden, but where to go to get the right one?

Since 1969 we have had 6 dogs, 2 from pups and 4 rescues.
At this point I would be happy to take on a 2 or 3 year old dog, BUT we will have small grandchildren staying over on very irregular bases, so this would have to be a dog with no issues........

Input from fellow animal lovers welcome

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: a DOG dilema........

Post by kenya » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Well it doesn't matter what age you are anyone could die tomorrow in a car accident,so I don't think you should think that way. You would give any dog a wonderful life.
Personally I don't think it matters where you get it if the dog suits you. Lots of people have trouble with their dogs but when you talk to them they don't walk/exercise them, they don't spend any time training them and then want to get rid of them cause the dog is stupid. Take one of those dogs spend a little time training them and poof you have a wonderful smart companion.
Retrievers are all over the place price wise, some people want more for a spoiled untrained dog than what a puppy is. Look around see what's available in your area and then decide do you want the puppy or older dog. Most golden retrievers have such great temperaments I think you wouldn't have any problems with the grandkids.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Any dog of yours would be welcome here either temporarily or permanently (if we pass the background checks). Chance is GREAT! Vian says we have a spare coop here if you need somewhere to keep Victor. It's hard when you lose anything, it just proves we feel and care!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 pm
Any dog of yours would be welcome here either temporarily or permanently (if we pass the background checks). Chance is GREAT! Vian says we have a spare coop here if you need somewhere to keep Victor. It's hard when you lose anything, it just proves we feel and care!
:laugh:
OK, as if I didn't know you would have the perfect answer, I will relay Vian's answer to Victor later, perhaps much later....

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:13 pm

kenya wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Personally I don't think it matters where you get it if the dog suits you. Lots of people have trouble with their dogs but when you talk to them they don't walk/exercise them, they don't spend any time training them and then want to get rid of them cause the dog is stupid. Take one of those dogs spend a little time training them and poof you have a wonderful smart companion.
Retrievers are all over the place price wise, some people want more for a spoiled untrained dog than what a puppy is. Look around see what's available in your area and then decide do you want the puppy or older dog. Most golden retrievers have such great temperaments I think you wouldn't have any problems with the grandkids.
I guess in my heart of hearts I feel the same, I forgot to mention we have fostered 6 or seven dogs over the years and I have house sat with 8 different dogs over the last several years, so I am well versed with different breeds and temperaments.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:23 pm

was gonna write my answer but you said serious only . ? Tho is Victor your husband or the dog . KB s solution would work for either I suppose . He said tongue in cheek . Lol😂🤠🐕
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:38 pm

ross wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:23 pm
was gonna write my answer but you said serious only . ? Tho is Victor your husband or the dog . KB s solution would work for either I suppose . He said tongue in cheek . Lol😂🤠🐕
Oh, I would never put a dog in a spare coop ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Yep good dogs are hard to find . The other ...?😂
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Lucky you! Firstly, you have kids who would take your dogs should something happen to you guys. Secondly a dog-loving friend offering to take them! You're golden :).

Now to find the purrfect dog. My suggestion would be to find a "good" breeder and ask if they have any adult dogs looking for a good home. People have to return dogs for a multitude of reasons, and breeders sometimes have dogs that just don't make it in their breeding programs, despite the breeder absolutely loving those dogs.... Secondly, you could try breed rescue. Trouble is, they are probably in Toronto, or somewhere miles away :(.

I had the same problem as you. We lost both of our wonderful labs (with a two-year age difference) within two months and were devastated. We took in a rescue pup who is a mix and is lovely, but I really missed having a true Labrador. Hubby was dead against having another dog, so getting one from the most perfect lab breeder, many miles away was not going to fly. In the end he fell in love with a lab at the dog park and, even though she came from a not-so-reputable breeder, I twisted his arm to get a pup from there and we did. I get a lot of "I never wanted two dogs" when times get tough, but at least we HAVE two dogs {wink}.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am

labradors wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:27 pm
Lucky you! Firstly, you have kids who would take your dogs should something happen to you guys. Secondly a dog-loving friend offering to take them! You're golden :).

Now to find the purrfect dog. My suggestion would be to find a "good" breeder and ask if they have any adult dogs looking for a good home. People have to return dogs for a multitude of reasons, and breeders sometimes have dogs that just don't make it in their breeding programs, despite the breeder absolutely loving those dogs.... Secondly, you could try breed rescue. Trouble is, they are probably in Toronto, or somewhere miles away :(.
As I have let my "fingers do the shopping" across the internet, I am now finding that since the last time we fostered, the requirements to qualify for fostering have become so stringent we may not even be able to do that.
The golden rescue for example will not allow foster family to have another dog in the house, which I find very odd, and some of the breeders requirements to "place" a puppy, if I ignore the price, the general requirements seem to be more stringent than when adopting a child.
a sample..
https://www.goldenrescue.ca/our-goldens ... n-process/

Return to “Furred Friends”