a DOG dilema........

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: a DOG dilema........

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:28 pm
I hate to say this but some of the rescues seem to have dogs that aren't fit for adoption either health or temperament wise.
I highly agree. I know of several examples that caused heartbreak. One still has a dog that is scared of men and barks at the husband incessantly after they have had her three years. She shits when he comes in the door, as she is barking and running away. It is not pleasant for anyone dog included.

That said, there are good rescue situations too, judgement is everything. They never should have got her.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 am

@Farrier1987 I think @ross Nina is a case in point. Fantastic dog and the right people!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:24 am

Yep , day of seeing at pound . 2 at home . She was 2 now 6 .
Attachments
AB6DA14B-FC5D-42A2-8D2C-9172BECE7D0B.jpeg
3C34C2D5-5EE2-4826-B700-5AC2B28D5056.jpeg
B598748B-734C-4779-A96B-C16CBA9FF9E7.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 am

Jetsko wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Difficult question that I may be facing in the future as our current goldens are 11.5 & 3 yrs old. We have had both labs & goldens; loved both. Our current boy, Polar is 11.5 yrs old and is from Blackpool Goldens in Shanty Bay. He is a total mellow love bug & is my shadow. When our Irish Setter passed, Polar become depressed & started showing signs of separation anxiety when I left the house. Blackpool didn't have any dogs or puppies available, so we did some research and found Aviemore Goldens in Coburg. They had a few pups available from a current litter and both parents of the pups were on site for us to meet. After spending some time with Journey & Thomas; we chose Rory. I have attached a picture of both, Polar is the white dog on the floor; Rory is on the couch. Until Rory we had a very strict rule - no dogs on furniture. As you can see, Rory doesn't believe the rule applies to her. She is super smart and has the men in the family very well trained to meet her needs, she makes me laugh every day.

I recommend both breeders for goldens.

20200129_162332.jpg
Thank you @Jetsko
I just started to read up on the eye testing and the joint testing, and it's a bit like everything else, more I learn more I realize how much I don't know.
Unscrupulous breeders seem to be everywhere, and no amount of paperwork is as valuable as a personal recommendation from somebody who has a dog from a breeder they are willing to recommend.
What is making this more difficult is the fact I can't take ANY risks, so I think rescue is probably off the table, unless they came directly from a family who's situation we were familiar with.

@ross I am still jealous about you girl, I can't believe I remember when you got her, what luck.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am

We visited a breeder ten years ago. She had bred goldens and labs for years, but told us she would no longer breed goldens because cancer was so rampant in the breed. She didn't have any pups or a suitable older dog for us at the time :(.

I joined a forum for Labrador breeders at the time, so that I could get to know them, as well as to get an early warning of prospective puppies. It didn't do me a lot of good because I had some very specific requirements. I wanted a smaller dog, and I hate blocky heads as well as chunky barrel-shapes!!!!

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Nina was listed as dog aggressive nobody would take her . Even a trainer there said not for us but mgr there saw us with her & said ok . Both of us understand dogs & have worked with um on a show & work platform . We saw in that area with 10 other dogs no aggression at all she wasn’t aggressive just not adjusted as a pup so barked when seeing another . She now is fine still barks at um but no problem.
Most folks have no idea how to train a dog is the big problem. You have to know more than the dog & get the right breed for your lifestyle. As far as health problems that’s a pig in a poke & now with all these so-called designer dogs not even vets can tell you the breed issues . Also as in my pic a crate is the best training aid ever not as punishment but a secure area of their own for a time out safe place where humans do not enter as a cave in the wild giving them a chance to think things over & stay out of trouble. Part of my rant . Luck

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:39 pm

Yeah if you look at the rescues you wouldn't take a one, must be in a house with no children, no other pets, fenced yard, has health issues and so on.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Yep Kenya , more conditions then when I raised my LARGE cats .

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 pm

My friend adopted a nice 5 year old golden retriever by asking at the boarding kennel she used if they knew anyone that wanted to place their dog in a new home. The kennel was able to tell them how the dog behaved when boarded, and what they knew about it, before she contacted the owners.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Look at this boy on Kijiji , he's beautiful, if he were closer I would love him myself.
Screenshot_20200130-190313.png

Return to “Furred Friends”