a DOG dilema........

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: a DOG dilema........

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:25 am

Oh, @kenya have I inspired you to go shopping ? :)
Things have certainly changed since the last time we have fostered and or adopted a dog.
One of the things I find little worrisome, is the number of dogs brought in by the rescue organizations from other continents.
We were fostering when the dogs from Luisiana came in during "Katrina" rescue and half of them had Heart worm.
Hard to imagine what problems dogs from other continents might be bringing in, even without considering misguided the whole thing might be.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 am

I find it really disappointing that shelters all across Canada euthanize thousands of cats and dogs, yet rescue groups import dogs from other countries. One problem I found was that humane societies and shelters all want to adopt pets locally. A few years ago I was interested in adopting 2 Persian cats that were available at a Humane Society in Ontario. I saw them on FindaPet.com. They were both neutered and I was prepared to pay the shipping and adoption fees, but they wouldn't let me adopt them. I think they should create policies and procedures that would allow pet adoptions from non-local humane societies and shelters.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 am

I think humane societies have gotten ridiculous but then so are some of the people adopting. I know of a girl who got a puppy and is mad because it pees and poops in it's crate when left in it for 8-10 hours. I can't believe how stupid she is and flat out told her it's a baby, no baby can hold it that long.
Yes OC I'd love another dog but when I looked at the ad for that dog there were a few things that didn't add up. One place the dog is 3 years, one place says 6 years and the registration says another, plus it's 12 hours away. I've seen other adds with a beautiful golden retriever saying this is the mother this picture has shown up in multiple adds, obviously using someone else's picture.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:52 am

Since I started "sort of" looking, I have come across few things that didn't add up, one of them checking posters "other ads" revealed many other breeds for sale.....
Even some breeders, although the website looked promising, double checking for independent reviews showed some real problems.
Wish it was 1968, when I handed over $ 15 and got the best dog ever :)
When did things get this complicated?

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:15 am

kenya wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 am
I think humane societies have gotten ridiculous but then so are some of the people adopting. I know of a girl who got a puppy and is mad because it pees and poops in it's crate when left in it for 8-10 hours. I can't believe how stupid she is and flat out told her it's a baby, no baby can hold it that long.
Yes OC I'd love another dog but when I looked at the ad for that dog there were a few things that didn't add up. One place the dog is 3 years, one place says 6 years and the registration says another, plus it's 12 hours away. I've seen other adds with a beautiful golden retriever saying this is the mother this picture has shown up in multiple adds, obviously using someone else's picture.

Don't you think that dog looks more like a Pyr? Beware!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:19 am

Nope looks like an English cream golden retriever, a really nice one at that. That is if that is really that dogs picture or one they took off the internet. I have researched the golden retrievers well and the English cream has a longer life expectancy with fewer incidences of cancer. Plus a lot of Golden's now look just like yellow labs, which I don't like that look.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:27 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:52 am
Since I started "sort of" looking, I have come across few things that didn't add up, one of them checking posters "other ads" revealed many other breeds for sale.....
Even some breeders, although the website looked promising, double checking for independent reviews showed some real problems.
Wish it was 1968, when I handed over $ 15 and got the best dog ever :)
When did things get this complicated?
Ontario Chick, you are SO right! I spent HOURS looking for a good dog in 2009 after we had lost our two wonderful labs within two months of each other. We went to dog shows to see what the breeders were turning out and learned that blocky heads were "in". They looked more like rotties than rotties! We visited a raw-feeding breeder in FL and almost bought from her. (Horrors! We weren't allowed inside the house, and for good reason we found out, as the conditions were not optimal!) I volunteered for months at the humane society, hoping that I would find the perfect dog, but the more time I spent trying to find the purrfect pup, the more despondent I got and we ended up getting a young pup from a local rescue group and she turned out really well :). She doesn't have much lab in her, but a lot of BC traits :).

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:30 am

kenya wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:19 am
Nope looks like an English cream golden retriever, a really nice one at that. That is if that is really that dogs picture or one they took off the internet. I have researched the golden retrievers well and the English cream has a longer life expectancy with fewer incidences of cancer. Plus a lot of Golden's now look just like yellow labs, which I don't like that look.
Oh that's interesting Kenya! I don't know much about Golden's (obviously!) Good to know about the English cream variety! I LOVE the Golden temperament :).

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:08 pm

It’s not the dogs it’s the lieing people & folks get took cause they believe .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:36 pm

labradors wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:30 am
kenya wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:19 am
Oh that's interesting Kenya! I don't know much about Golden's (obviously!) Good to know about the English cream variety! I LOVE the Golden temperament :).

Linda
@Kbr42
posted this one, I would give my firstborn for a dog like that
https://www.regalgoldens.com

Return to “Furred Friends”