Information alternative to $$$ vet dental cleaning - testimonial

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

alternative to $$$ vet dental cleaning - testimonial

Post by Jaye » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Our vet said it was high time that our Aiden got his teeth cleaned (plaque and tartar removed, etc.) ... and our vet all the vets that I have contacted do this procedure under general anesthetic. Knowing that it takes a long time for humans to shake off the effects of general anesthesia, I imagine the same goes for other animals, so would rather not put our Aiden through it unless necessary. Plus there's the bill: $1400 quote. We heard about "Pearly Whites for pets" from our groomer, so I looked into it. They are based in Barrie and do a lot of business in Orangeville and Mississauga. Turns out they do several road trips to other parts of Ontario several times a year, and one of their road trip locations is in Smiths Falls . I booked an appointment in one of the two remaining time slots on September 28 (today) in Smiths Falls a couple of weeks ago...
So just got back from Smiths Falls with Aiden, and his teeth really are "pearly white"! - no sign of plaque anywhere that I can see. I had to agree with the vet, it was high time for some action on them (he's 8 years old and has never let anyone near his teeth with a toothbrush or even to take an extended peek for that matter). These two women ("Pearly Whites for pets" business owners) are amazing! Dog whisperers with superpowers. They don't use anesthetic, but somehow are able to get dogs to enjoy the whole experience. Aiden included. It takes about an hour, at a fraction of the cost of dental work at the vet. And NO anesthetic! Not making this up. We were skeptical too but thought it was worth a try. So so glad we did!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: alternative to $$$ vet dental cleaning - testimonial

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:28 am

Sounds like Aiden has come a long way!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am

Wow that sound really good, I'd love to get Summers done but I don't know if she would let them, shes not very cooperative with the vet. I wonder if they come down this way.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 am

What kind of tools do they use? How is the dog restrained?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 pm

so looking at their website they don't diagnose tooth problems, just clean them.....i wonder how they do it, because my lab would eat all the equipment i'm 100% sure! or at least chew on it for a while....and slobber everywhere.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:28 am
Sounds like Aiden has come a long way!
Yes, he really has. He still hates HV dryers and isn't all that thrilled with handhelds either, but his groomer was able to wash him for the first time since we got him without too much drama. Up until now we had bathed and brushed him out the night before his grooming appointments.
kenya wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am
Wow that sound really good, I'd love to get Summers done but I don't know if she would let them, shes not very cooperative with the vet. I wonder if they come down this way.
Aiden can be uncooperative too if there's something that makes him uneasy. We give Aiden CBD oil if he is going anywhere that may cause him excessive anxiety that can potentially push him over his tolerance threshold. It really calms him down. I checked the PWFP website for events, locations and dates and it appears that they don't do road trips any further West than Mississauga and Etobicoke. Probably a bit of a drive for you. But, Smiths Falls is an hour drive one way for us, and we had the same concerns about Aiden being uncooperative as you have about Summer. We figured it was worth taking a chance, because they stated on their website that if they couldn't work with a dog for whatever reason, they wouldn't charge for the service. We figured that worst-case scenario, we would only be paying for the gas to get there and back, plus it was a mostly pleasant scenic drive.
Shnookie wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 am
What kind of tools do they use? How is the dog restrained?
They use the same dental tools and as a dental hygienist or vet uses. The way it was explained to us is that the dog lies on a raised bed between them. They are facing each other, one at the dog's head and the other at the rear, with their knees connected, kind of like bed rails. That's how they "restrain" the dog. They do a bunch of calming, getting to know each other, exercises and once the dog is relaxed and on his back one starts working on the teeth while the other keeps the dog calm with a massage or whatever. I don't have much more detail because they work without the owners there. They take your number in case things don't work out. Both dental care practitioners are very calm and have a zen-like way about them that seems to rub off on the dog they are working with. They said that most dogs just lie there with their paws in the air and some even almost doze off. Apparently Aiden had his front legs crossed over because, well, he's a poodle (their words, lol).
Anyway, check them out on Facebook or on their website and ask questions there if you want to learn more. https://www.facebook.com/pg/petpearlywhites/
http://pearlywhitesforpets.com/
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:19 am

For those people with anxious dogs, it's really worth trying a cheap form of Anxiety Wrap. Just take a tee shirt (doggie, kiddie, or even an adult sized) and tie knots in it (if necessary) to make it fit snugly. Whey they work they are amazing and calm the dog down immediately! It was wonderful for my old dog who was pacing around due to stress, and it also helped with her car stress...….

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:37 pm

labradors wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:19 am
For those people with anxious dogs, it's really worth trying a cheap form of Anxiety Wrap. Just take a tee shirt (doggie, kiddie, or even an adult sized) and tie knots in it (if necessary) to make it fit snugly. Whey they work they are amazing and calm the dog down immediately! It was wonderful for my old dog who was pacing around due to stress, and it also helped with her car stress...….
Isn't that a 'Thunder Shirt? You pays upwards of 40.00 for a small of those. My cocker spaniel, Trixie, just needs to be beside me. Somehow, I've become a Thunder Shirt :stars:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Yes, Thunder Shirt and Anxiety Wrap are the same thing and both are expensive, which is why it's a good idea to try the cheap tee shirt first in case it doesn't work. My girl Abbey is a pack hound and cannot bear to be left behind. Unfortunately, Anxiety Wrap doesn't work for her :(

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Same here, @labradors . Our Aiden LOVES car rides - he doesn't like being left behind. There are a lot of situations where thunder shirts/anxiety wraps can really help calm a dog that is anxious, but they aren't useful for all triggers/situations. Like HV dryers, and grooming, in Aiden's case. Kind of challenging to dry and groom a dog if it's wearing a shirt. ;-)

Return to “Furred Friends”