Dog callouses

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Dog callouses

Post by Shnookie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Most of my house has commercial tile on the floor. It's quite hard. My dogs get big callouses. They will only lay on a foam bed in the winter. In the summer they want to be on the tile because it is cool. I was wondering if hardwood floors also cause callouses. Does anyone know?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Dog callouses

Post by Jaye » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Our hardwood floors don't appear to cause any problems for our dog. He likes lying on them for coolth in the summer. When it's really hot, he does prefer the tile flooring in the front hallway.
He does always have the option of his bed or the couch if he needs some cushioning.
Last edited by Jaye on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 pm

I think I said in the Bumblefoot thread that we use Kerasal on the callouses of the older birds and the turkey Toms. We use it every other day or so and I softens them up. Maybe it would help the dogs.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 pm

My hardwood causes calluses but thankfully my dog likes the comfort of her beds or the couch.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 pm

My whole house is hardwood or tile. Neither dog seems to have an issue. They have orthopedic beds but the lab prefers the floor most of the time.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:38 am

Well, I have three thoughts about this.

1. Leave em be. The dog knows when the callous is a problem. Unless maybe you are showing or something.

2. Take a piece of foam and cut it to shape and use Gorilla Glue or Crazy Glue to stick it on to cover up the callous. This works to get rid of the callous, but it causes other problems when they chew at it and make it raw when it pulls off, so this is a last resort. (Tung in cheek there, don't try this at home.)

3. The dogs seem to like a bed I have. It is old fishing net that I have folded up so its about an inch or more thick. I have one inside and one outside. Outside, keeps them up off the ground and doesn't soak up if its wet. Inside, when its hot, the air still flows under a little. Mostly inside or out it is their favorite bed, Doesn't harbour mites or flees, easy to clean. Doesn't rot outside. I like it a lot.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:08 am

Our dogs don't have callouses and we have hardwood flooring and carpet. They love their doggy beds. I also have a "dirty dog" mat. It looks like chenille and is super-absorbent. We leave it out on the deck so that Chloe can have a comfy spot upon which to lie, and it helps to keep her off the cement, and to dry her off when she has been in the pond!

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:17 am

labradors wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:08 am
Our dogs don't have callouses and we have hardwood flooring and carpet. They love their doggy beds. I also have a "dirty dog" mat. It looks like chenille and is super-absorbent. We leave it out on the deck so that Chloe can have a comfy spot upon which to lie, and it helps to keep her off the cement, and to dry her off when she has been in the pond!

Linda
Lol my outside dog bed is under the overhang on the deck. But the chickens kick the dogs off and hog it!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 am

Too funny Happy. Your chickens are SO spoiled :).

Linda

Return to “Furred Friends”