Thinking of getting the kids Rabbits

JP*
On the Roost

Thinking of getting the kids Rabbits

Post by JP* » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 am

My kids (5 and 7) are wanting a pet.

I had to put the dog down in the summer and he was a great dog for them. They still tell me that they miss him...and we relocated the goats to my brothers. They want a dog but I don't want the expense at the moment, nor the time commitment a new dog/puppy requires.

I am thinking that maybe I would build them a large raised outdoor rabbit hutch in the spring. Perhaps the local 4H club has a Rabbit project that they could join.

Would a few Rex Rabbits be suitable as a pet for them?
Friendly enough to be handled but independent enough to go without attention?

I don't think that the children will be able/capable of going out to them each day and I suspect the majority of the chores will be mine.

Let me know what you think!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Thinking of getting the kids Rabbits

Post by KimChick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

Yes, I think the rabbits will definitely be cheaper than a dog.
I had rabbits when I was 11-12 yrs old. They were awesome pets! And I bred them and had baby bunnies. Were they ever cute!
I called them mine because I was the only one to feed and water them in the winter, outside, under a tarp, behind our garage, in the city. Your kids can go outside with you to do the chores; they are old enough.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

They are certainly old enough to be doing the chores....getting them to do them is the challenge. ;)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

I have to tell you from experience, we had Angora and California rabbits in the barn when the kids were growing up and they really really really wanted a Mini Lop for a pet (they were all the rage in those days) and you would think I would have known better, but no, I gave in got one of those and a set up for the house, that lasted a year, then he became a free range barn rabbit and that lasted a year or two, by that time NOBODY remembered they wanted a rabbit. :)
I am sure that there are axception, but a "play value" of a rabbit is minimal, and trust me, they will still want a dog eventually and rescue dog past the puppy stage is way less work then a rabbit project. :2cents:

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am

lol, good advice

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

My first real pet that was my responsibility was a bunny named Sparko. However I lived in a house with GSDs so had them around too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Rabbits are great inexpensive pets that are less time consuming as well to look after, but as with any pet bought for kids forget it if you think they will look after it.(rabbit or dog)
I think its a great pet if you don' t have time for a dog, although in my opinion nothing beats a dog.
Getting involved with 4h if they have a rabbit section will keep the kids interest longer.
I say go for it get a bunny!

Return to “Furred Friends”