Re: Update on our rescue boy

Post by Nickyn » Thu May 04, 2017 10:24 am

Lovely!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks, everyone, for humouring me and agreeing that Aiden looks much better with a clean face. ;-)
He does seem to have an extra spring in his step now that the hair on his face is nice and short.
I think I will keep his coat in general not too much longer than it is right now because it makes tangles and mats less of an issue. He does get tangles at the length it is now, but they are quite small and reasonably quick/easy to comb out. Besides, now that he’s gained a bit of weight and muscle mass, he doesn’t need extra coat length to make him look less scrawny any more ;-) The only problem with keeping it shorter, of course, is that Aiden is definitely not an easy groom. I asked the groomer whether she thought he’d get more used to it with regular grooming sessions, and she said that in her experience, the dogs that she’s had difficulty grooming really don’t seem to get better with time and exposure. I guess if that’s the case with Aiden, I’m going to have to either learn how to groom him myself, or get used to being at every appointment to hold on to him while the groomer gets it done as best she can.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu May 04, 2017 4:59 pm

I think he will improve with time. If he doesn't, you may want to try a different groomer. Sometimes there are personality conflicts between groomers and dogs. One thing you can do is to always praise him and make a fuss over how nice he looks after being groomed, and praise him when he behaves during grooming. He's looking very handsome. Keep up the good work!

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Wow, I am behind Jaye. First off congrats on the new addition (a bit belated).

What a handsome fellow :heart:

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Great looking dog :smile:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Met him at picnic . Impressed .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks! We are rather fond of him. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:45 pm

I met him at the picnic as well and he sure is a very nice and well behaved dog. my kids were playing with him and walking him around and had a blast.

Great dog Jaye!

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for the compliment, Al. We think he's a bit of alright too. :-)
He really likes children who know how to introduce themselves to dogs politely, just like yours did. They were really good with him - and animals in general, I noticed. When children come charging up to Aiden, shouting, arms flailing and grabbing for his head, however, he tends to bark and back away. I think I would too. ;-)

We did wind up trying another groomer for his summer buzz cut, and it turned out to be a good decision. She was very good with him and managed to get his feet and face done with much less fuss. He even came up to her for a head rub after she had finished his groom.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 am

Keep that groomer, she sounds special!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Furred Friends”