Question Feedback plz ~ "RESCUE DOG" or buy the breed you want?

JP*
On the Roost

Feedback plz ~ "RESCUE DOG" or buy the breed you want?

Post by JP* » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:56 pm

That is too bad about the attack and your long recovery. Hopefully everything is healed up and you can put it behind you with the new animal. Good Luck!!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:44 am

My advice and comments for what they're worth. I would go for a crossbred, not purebred, lab crosses are high on my list. Longer coat because of our weather. A puppy, see if you can get over three months, house training is way easier because they have developed muscle control.

You have your heart set on a dog. I suggest don't set your heart and a breed. You will find one, and it may or may not be right fro you. Its like shopping for a new car, if you decide it has to be red, you just cut out a whole bunch of cars where their usability and value may be much more to what will work well for you.

Puppies can be a lot of work, but almost always worth it. Rescues can be great, but can also break your heart. Good luck with it.

And I close with a great prayer. "May I become the person my dog thinks I am."
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:48 am

I have limited experience with dogs as an adult. I have a lab currently and I love him to death. He definitely picked me...I wasn't looking to get a dog but he knew better. He wants nothing more than to be with me 24/7 and make me happy.
Hubby has a beagle. Hubby will never again have a beagle. Enough said.
I will say both dogs are excellent with the chickens. The beagle even licks the house rooster's face off like he's her puppy.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:28 am

Hubby has always liked a boxer or bulldog.
Me... I luv ALL dogs & don't care what kind we get ( as long as I feel safe with it )

My hope is DH picks his & I choose mine.
Perfect scenario is I pick Both!!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 am

I noticed FRF has puppies at her vet looking for homes.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST One other thing , in order to train any critter you have to know more than it , what makes it tick , be it breed or type . Decide what needs you have in your dog . Always exceptions . There are lots of good trainers out there just do your home work . Luck
I agree completely with Ross. Crossbreeds are less likely to have "purebred" health problems (hips, aggression, shorter life expectancy).

We've had three rescues and one that was a year old pup from city folk who realized they didn't have time.
We always have a dog that looks like a nasty junkyard mix to intimidate people. Our house is the only house on the street that's never been robbed.
Baron, a doberman mix (collie) now ten years ago, smart, easy going, really gentle with kids and friends, but he hates little dogs (he was bitten by a poopzu and later a poodle.) We had him at dog parks, no problem. When young he needed a good run every day or two or he would get antsy.
Duchess, doberman/lab mix, great with people but a dominant dog so our pugs and Baron don't like her. She could run all day, a real athlete. Both these dogs were great when we lived in town, easy to walk.
Fred a lab/rottie mix was abused as a pup so was always a bit nervous. Smart, loyal, great farm dog, deceased at age 16.
Duchess needed scolding to leave the cows alone, all left the chickens alone (duchess steals eggs). They were taught about birds one step at a time (dog tied birds free, birds in yard dog free).
We always choose a german shepherd/rottie/ or doberman mix. Smart, loyal, easy to train, energetic. They need a good run to relax. and being smart they need something to do or they can het into trouble.
Stay away from huskies, great family dogs, but absolute killers on a farm. Scent hounds: bloodhound, black and tan, coonhound, beagle; extremely stubborn and hard to train. I had a beagle a real sweetheart, but stubborn and really hard to train. Let her loose and she's gone.
Pugs are small and full of beans but no trouble to birds.
I'd get a rescue again in a heartbeat but You have to spend time on the front end educating the dog.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:00 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST The problem I have found with many rescue organizations over the past few years, is that many have become 'dog flippers', 'rescuing' dogs from humane societies and SPCA shelters and selling them. They will say it's because these dogs are difficult to adopt out, due to age/breed/health/behaviour/whatever, and that they are being 'rescued' from euthanasia...
I've noticed ads on Kijiji for Regina where people put cats up for sale that have come from the Humane Society (they actually say this in the ad). They say they've had them a month or two, but they can't keep them because of allergies, or moving or something. I suspect some of these are cats that have been adopted for free when the Humane Society has adoption drives. I haven't noticed dog ads that seem as obvious. Since there are so many pets for sale all the time, I wonder if the ones that don't sell get turned out into the street. They already have a tattoo and microchip so the person wouldn't likely take them back to the shelter.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:21 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST I noticed FRF has puppies at her vet looking for homes.
We do!! Have some shepherd mixes, a black lab and a sharpei.

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by XBRIT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 pm

I have a 126lb Golden retriever, he is just a big lug, the most loving and docile dog I have had. He is now 13 plus years and going strong. He has been with me around 8 years after being abandoned. During this time he has interacted with over 40 plus dogs, small, medium and large. Not once has he has shown aggression to any of them, in fact for the last 6 years, Sadie a Shih Tzu rescue from Laval, has been his ear cleaner and hangs from his ear, he does not even blink. I have heard from so many people the same kind of stories. Oh yes when I first bought my chickens, he looked at them then me then them again then went to get his frisbi to play.

Return to “Furred Friends”