Question Feedback plz ~ "RESCUE DOG" or buy the breed you want?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Feedback plz ~ "RESCUE DOG" or buy the breed you want?

Post by ross » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 am

You bet Colleen a good dog is like a good horse or good woman . You pamper the hell out of um to keep um happy . Remember to keep it simple . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:07 am

We have also done both, me and poultry_admin. Our next dog will be a mutt probably, or a lab. I'm done rescuing...we had a greyhound from a rescue. she bonded with martin well, but her "trainer" on the track was a woman, and while she grew to trust me, it was 2 years of patience. she took to martin right off. but for me, if i sneezed she would dive behind the sofa and cower....if i moved suddenly, if i tried to put on her leash, she was just a total stress case around women! and it was so ingrained, it took years of patience to snap her out of it. we did, but it was a ton of heartbreak for ME as a person, even knowing what i was doing! we also have 2 now, purebred from puppies. i will never ever again get a german shorthaired pointer. This one is riddled with issues (cushing's i think, plus mast cell tumours, plus energy to burn +++++). yes, they are a high energy dog, but this dog is 300$/month for pills because of his liver issues, and he's from a "reputable" breeder.....um. yeah. he's a good hunting dog with my hubby, but i swear we could run the thing 24/7 and he would just ask for more. he is a good dog, don't get me wrong, but never to be trusted around livestock, the genetics for hunting is too strong, he's taken 2 kicks from a horse, and still doesn't get it. he has exceeded my patience, and 3 training collars, he really needs someone 24/7 riding his butt because he cannot keep it between his ears because he's going 200 miles a second in 20 different directions. the lab is awesome, laid back, but a bit of a bull in a china shop for leaning and hugging and all things lab. LOL. I'd say our lab has been the best, easiest to train, all around stays home doesn't wander, doesn't bother the livestock, trainable, because they aren't super high energy and they can actually focus.....but they do tend to be mouthy, unless taught from little. honestly, my preference is a puppy-not too young, but also not 6 months old.....still young, after weaning, so YOU are the pack from the get-go. then you train and mold the way YOU do it, and they pick up on it fast. I will rescue, but ONLY if that dog bonds or shows profound interest in at least one of us from the get go-whether a rescue or a puppy. if they won't bond they miss the connection, and it makes things way tougher. my judge of which dog, no matter what, is spend time, see which one sits on you, snuggles, won't leave you alone....THAT's the dog that will be with you for years to come, and loyal...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 am

Our dog Brena, she was a rescue that spent pretty much her first 6 months in a crate. she was not trained in any way. getting her was not my idea in any way shape or form, I didnt want a dog. In fact I had no idea where I was driving Lizzie until we got there. I was furious until I met her and realized we needed to save her from that deplorable situation. we did not live on a farm at the time and didnt have any birds at all, I was still in the research mode and looking to get out of the city. but I dont regret any of it! with lots of patience and proper training she has turned out to be the best dog ever! shes never once harmed a bird, she used to chase them for fun but with proper discipline she quickly learned that it wasnt ok. she used to play with the mini mule at the old place, they would chase each other around the field like 2 crazies, taking turns. they would stop, have a break grab, a drink and go right back at it. hilarious! but she didnt do that with the horses or donkeys and was perfect around the live stock. she knows a bunch of different animals by name and I can have her go looking for them on command. shes found and treed many coons saving our birds from harm or further harm. she knows her boundaries and where she can and cant go and dosent wonder off whatsoever, she mostly sticks to the grass around the house and dosent go to far into the field. I really only have to call her once or 3 times :-) to get her to come. she knows the words house, truck, garage and especially camp or beach! if anyone says the words camp or beach shes ready to go. she gets so excited if were packing up the truck, she knows where were going. when we pull into the laneway at camp she cant wait to get out but she knows her boundries there as well. she has to be on a leash there at all times but will try to avoid it and pretend that shes on the chain and not leave that area. LOL. shes such a great dog and I couldnt imagine our lives without her, I'm so glad Lizzie found her and brought her into our family. shes a black lab as far as we know but she is really small, I think she is stunted form lack of proper care, diet and exercise from before we got her. she gives :hi5: 's! :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:46 am

We got our standard poodle when he as 2 or 3 years old. He is now 10 or 11.

Very gentle dog, great with everyone and kids, and other animals. Excellent manners other than the nose placement when meeting new people.
Doesn't go on furniture. You can manipulate him in anyway without complaint. Good for hair cuts, nails, teeth cleaning, vet visits, the kids when younger were too rough on him. Ears, tail and hair pulled and jumped on.

Does not like to swim. Fully capable of swimming but you won't find him getting wet.

Loses interest in fetching games quickly.

He is happiest at your side and would prefer to hang out with you than play with other dogs.

His hair is very soft and curly.

Intact male so has had a few dust ups with other intact males but they figure it out on their own quick and peace ensues.

Many Health problems though:

Bladder Crystals requiring surgery for removal.
One Oozing Cyst removal
Special Diet to prevent Crystals in bladder $150per 13kg bag (2 months worth of food)
Bad teeth, plaque and tartar builds up quick. Front teeth between canines were broken when we got him.
Inflammation causing loss of awareness feeling in his front legs. Prednisone fixes this up.
His recent sneezy runny nose has turned into a sneezy bloody nose.....could be tooth infection/growth in nose/foreign object causing irritation. Vet just gave us antibiotics but we won't be able to proceed with any surgery required to fix this problem. It is unfortunate as I feel he has several good years left but the fix is thousands of dollars and not a sure thing.

I would highly recommend a Standard Poodle as a pet. Surely you wouldn't find one with all of these health issues.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 pm

I adopted a 2 year old male purebred Cocker Spaniel from a friend who didn't want him. He had been sold as an 8 week old puppy, and had been in 6 other homes by the time I took him in. He had never been properly house trained. He was not neutered so would run out her front door and take off. He was supposed to have bitten someone before she took him, but I don't know the circumstances. I met him at her place before she said she didn't want him any more. She was going to put him down. I hadn't had a dog before but I liked him and I told her I would take him. He had a chain collar on that was too small for his neck - it had been put on when he was younger and never taken off. I had to cut it off.

We started obedience classes a few days later, and I got him neutered shortly after. He would lunge and bark at other dogs and didn't listen to my commands. He was called the same name that he was given as a puppy, but he didn't respond to it at all. I worked hard to get him over his issues. He also turned out to be an epileptic. He learned agility, got his CD in obedience, and went to dog club demonstrations with me. He turned out to be a good dog. He was almost 16 when I had to put him down.

My first German Shepherd was a 7 year old female that was retired from showing and breeding. She had obedience training, was well socialized, was crate and house trained, and was good with other animals. I really liked her. I took her to obedience, then put her in a trial. She got her CD at 9 years old with 4 high in class scores. Unfortunately, she got breast cancer, and was put down when she was almost 11.

I have also had one purebred Cocker Spaniel, and 3 German Shepherds that I got as small puppies (8-10 weeks), and 1 German Shepherd that I got at 9 months. Puppies are a lot of work no matter what age you get them at.

If you are interested in looking into a German Shepherd, I would recommend Timberline Kennel. I have a male German Shepherd that I got from them as a puppy 7 years ago. I am really happy with him. I was looking at their website the other day and they have puppies and older dogs available. Here's their website http://timberlinekennels.com/

Good luck with your search for a new friend.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 pm

I have had both adopted older dogs, and puppies over the years. Rescues will often take a lot of time and patience to learn you are alpha, and to learn your way of doing things, while puppies usually are anxious to learn right from the get-go. On the other hand, older dogs are often already housebroken, which is a huge plus in my books, as puppy housebreaking has got to be one of the most tedious, time consuming things about puppyhood.
Exceptions to every rule, and every dog is different, even within the same litter. The problem I have found with many rescue organizations over the past few years, is that many have become 'dog flippers', 'rescuing' dogs from humane societies and SPCA shelters and selling them. They will say it's because these dogs are difficult to adopt out, due to age/breed/health/behaviour/whatever, and that they are being 'rescued' from euthanasia... But when the rescue runs out of local dogs, they start spreading the net, shipping dogs in from cross country and cross border. Volunteers start cruising dog for sale ads and trying to convince sellers to surrender to a rescue, or spewing 'adopt, don't shop' propaganda. They believe they are saving countless dogs from euthanasia or abuse, which I personally believe is a load of bull, and if you decide to check out private rescues I urge you to do your due diligence.
Another thing to keep in mind is breed. Not all dogs were created equal, and although there are exceptions and some individuals in a breed can be taught to be safe around small livestock running loose, there are definitely breeds that should generally be avoided if you've got free range chickens. Husky, Malamute, Eskimo dog and Akita come to mind. The instinct to eat first and ask questions later is always RIGHT THERE, so breeds with a very high prey drive might be something to avoid.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:26 pm

I thought your Askim was part Akita Jan?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Syble
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Syble » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 pm

I've trained dogs for years, I've done alot of work with rescue dogs to correct hidden issues such as man aggression, separation anxiety, dog aggression, dominance over humans etc. thank you for thinking about what you need in a dog BEFORE you get said dog, too many times people play catch up. Things you need to think about before you get one, what are you needing in a dog, what are limitations are the 2 biggest things, but also high on the list, how much training can you invest(not paying someone although that's an option, but you yourself drilling). if you don't have fences on your farm then a sight hound like a greyhound might be a poor choice, they are built to run and often dont care where they are running to they just wanna go. beagles can be just as bad, that nose clicks on and boom got to go! If you are a low key person a border collie might not be a good choice things like that to consider. I'm a big fan of crosses, I have a mastiff x dane right now (often called daniff) and she is perfect for my lifestyle and my farm.

Labradors are one of the most user friendly dogs out there, but again, there are bad lines out there. there are some health problems more prevalent with some breeds then others, bull dogs often are gassy and have breathing issues for example, danes bad hearts... again some of this is tied more into line. Just make sure the breed/mix has the qualities you want in life and be aware that individuals vary, i've met lazy collies and what not.

As for new vs rescue, they both have pros and cons, puppies are a lot of work but they are a blank slate. and for a period of time are slow so if they go for damage its not so bad. Rescues are usually potty trained and have basic commands, they may be perfect but they may have hidden triggers. i worked with a rotti that had no problem with anyone else till Chinese men were near then all hell broke loose.

Often i advise my clients to consider puppies when dealing with livestock and children, if its an adult in a normal home, then rescues are fine, never hurts to see whats in a rescue, they have puppies too some times, just be firm with yourself and get the right dog for yourself :)
Attachments
Screenshot_532.png

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST I thought your Askim was part Akita Jan?
He was, so is Tellem. Both took a lot of work, hours a day every day for a month before they learned not to eat the birds, and I was only eventually successful because there were LOADS of other things for them to divert their attention to...Squirrels, muskrats, wild birds, ants, etc. A lot of damage was done in the meantime, and even as middle aged dogs, if something panicked and ran, they could rarely be called off. Luckily that was very rare, birds are kind of stupid that way lol...it helped that most were raised with the dogs, and mother hens would teach their chicks to pick fleas and ticks off them. although once They killed our neighbours favourite cat.
We have to go through a refresher anytime new animals are turned loose, because if it runs, it's food. Rooster and Drake fights tend to attract some dangerous attention too. Upside is those very same instincts made those two little dogs an awesome predator hunting team. But I'm not sure I'd do it again, and a purebred Akita, never.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 pm

WOW ~ I can not thank you all enough for sharing your advice & experiences!!!!!!!!!!!!
Going to research the breeds mentioned & also the rescue agencies.
I never thought of them as possible $ makers :doh:
Last edited by Poultryprincess on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Return to “Furred Friends”