Using Ivomec for dogs and cats?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:15 am

I have been thinking, does anyone know if or how well ivomec works for dogs? The darn Revolution is good but expensive and requires a vet visit which also costs. If so, would you use pour on or injection or oral? I am guessing that you could figure out dosage from weight.

Us like the chickens are scratching to get by, and if I can see a reasonable shortcut to save money while still taking good care of them I would like it.

Thoughts, opinions or sure knowledge would be appreciated.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:43 am

If your dog has any potential of having any collie in it do NOT use ivermectin in any form-it will kill the dog!! Collies carry a mutated gene that means ivermectin is toxic. Ivermectin is used in dogs to treat mange (not collies) and mange mites...but the safety margin is not as great as for birds so dose really needs to be kept an eye on.
Cats also tend to have picky livers and ivermectin dosing needs to be monitored really closely and some cats react badly and can go into liver or kidney failure. Have you talked to your vet about trying to save costs? Quite a few will have a sliding payscale for people that need it.
The safety of the new drugs compared to pour on is so much better ....i honestly wouldnt without consulting my vet first and making sure theres no possibility that my dog had any collie in it....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:41 am

About 20 years ago our vet informed us to use the ivermectin liquid injectable we had for our cattle/sheep for our dogs. He recommended an oral dose for worms and /or fleas including heart worm. We and our friends have used it that way since then every spring and fall with only positive results. A cc or 2 (depending on weight) in a bowl of broth works well. I have never heard that about collie's so can't confirm if it's true or not.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am

RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST If your dog has any potential of having any collie in it do NOT use ivermectin in any form-it will kill the dog!! Collies carry a mutated gene that means ivermectin is toxic. Ivermectin is used in dogs to treat mange (not collies) and mange mites...but the safety margin is not as great as for birds so dose really needs to be kept an eye on.
Cats also tend to have picky livers and ivermectin dosing needs to be monitored really closely and some cats react badly and can go into liver or kidney failure. Have you talked to your vet about trying to save costs? Quite a few will have a sliding payscale for people that need it.
The safety of the new drugs compared to pour on is so much better ....i honestly wouldnt without consulting my vet first and making sure theres no possibility that my dog had any collie in it....
Doesn't this apply to GSD's too?
I believe it is Collie, GSD and one other one

Return to “Furred Friends”