Carbaryl withdrawal time for eggs?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:57 pm

I've been trying to find info on how long before eggs can be eaten again after treating hens with Carbaryl dusting powder but all I've been able to find is related to meat birds.Is there a withdrawal time if Carbaryl is applied topically or in the coop bedding?
It says on the label to avoid contaminating nest boxes/eggs when applying the poultry housing, which made me wonder.

Best Answer by WLLady » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:58 pm
If you wash the eggs to make sure there's none on the eggs before they are cracked it shouldn't get into the egg.....carbaryl is a topical, it stays on the surface of the bird, it's not metabolized by the bird so shouldn't be deposited INTO the egg just from dusting a bird. but if it's in the bedding it can get onto the outside of the egg, then if the egg is cracked without washing it could contaminate the egg.
I have dusted birds and then eaten their eggs but i wash all my eggs, even those going into cartons for later....just in case.

GO TO FULL POST ➙
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:58 pm

If you wash the eggs to make sure there's none on the eggs before they are cracked it shouldn't get into the egg.....carbaryl is a topical, it stays on the surface of the bird, it's not metabolized by the bird so shouldn't be deposited INTO the egg just from dusting a bird. but if it's in the bedding it can get onto the outside of the egg, then if the egg is cracked without washing it could contaminate the egg.
I have dusted birds and then eaten their eggs but i wash all my eggs, even those going into cartons for later....just in case.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks, WLLady - that's good news. I have a chicken who has stopped laying, and this morning I noticed that she's lost a bunch of the feathers on her head (around her face), so I suspect it's mites.
Hopefully hubby will give me a hand dusting everyone tonight, and tomorrow I'll do another full coop clean-out. FINE. (F___, It Never Ends).
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:00 pm

She may be moulting too-chickens quite often moult from the head back....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:06 pm

It's possible, but I don't think so in this case, because she already did her annual molt back in November/December, then started laying again briefly in February, then stopped. Chicken check-up has been moved to tomorrow a.m., since hubby didn't get home until way after lights out, and it's not as easy to see if there's anything going on with a flashlight after dark as it is in the a.m. at around sun rise.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:41 pm

so here are some pics of Penelope ... I am really disturbed by how red her skin is, but have no idea of what might be causing it.
The first is a "before" shot (she's the one in front), and the rest are from today.
Does anyone know what could be wrong? I checked her vent area for bugs but found nothing.No one else is showing signs like this.
If this is mites or lice, I will happily dust her with Carbaryl, but if it's something else, I'd rather not expose her to it if it won't make any difference.
Any help would really be appreciated.
IMG_20160123_163514 (1).jpg
IMG_20160306_134048 (1).jpg
IMG_20160306_134053.jpg

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 am

Sorry can't help you with those images. I have seen pictures online when googling moulting and some do look that way.

My question - figured this was a good place to put it here. Spring is here. Wanting to do a big heavy duty dust of the gang. Will one treatment solve any issues? I don't see any around vents or under wings but they're getting dusted anyways!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:49 pm

dust her anyways....dust away both of you LOL. just make sure jaye you don't get it in her eyes....do you see mites crawling around on her face? there are mites that like to live in muffs...so maybe they are just on her face? i've never seen that only heard about it, and i know in heavy mite infections the mites will be everywhere...

i still think she might be moulting...or still growing in from moulting...the skin looks good, the feathers that are there look good there's no mite poop on the shafts that i can see....does she scratch a lot with her claws? but her skin doesn't look irritated....

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks very much for your suggestions and advice, WLLady.
I don't see anything crawling around on her face or anywhere else, but I am planning to do the sticky tape test this evening.
I'm pretty sure that she molted late last November at the same time as her buddy Annie, but will check my feather collection this evening, just to confirm.
I have not seen Penelope scratching at herself at all really. She's still perky and curious and eats and drinks well. Her feathers are fine everywhere else, except her head and neck.
The "before" photo in my earlier post is of both Penelope and Annie in January after they finished feathering back in.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:39 am

It seems a bit oddly regular?
Could she be rubbing it on something?
In some way it looks like what happens here, when I put an Ameraucana Rooster in to a breeding pen, I have to take a picture right away, because by the end of the week the girls have lovingly picked of his beautiful beard and since he gets it damp when drinking the usually make a quick job of it. :)

Return to “Cleaning and Disinfecting”