Lime powder

Huitemafarms
Newly Hatched Chick

Lime powder

Post by Huitemafarms » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 am

Does anyone use this? Is it safe for a chicken? I worked on a dairy farm years ago and it was a tie stall barn. I had too scrape the manure from behind the cow into the stable cleaner, after that he had me put some lime powder on the wet spot remaining. Since then I'll put it on the wetter spots when I'm cleaning up a chicken pen. I notice it keeps the wood floor from getting wet and rotting as well. I put shavings or straw over top of course but I was just wondering if it was bad for them
:rooster: Old English Games, call Ducks, bobwhite quail, ring neck pheasant and red sexlink

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Lime powder

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:14 am

It can burn their feet if they step in damp lime, and burn their lungs if you throw it around carelessly. It's an alkaline, and kills nasty bugs, everything from germs to parasites. I used it a year ago to clean my one coop when the chickens in it got an ILT infection. The infection did not spread to other coops, I believe in part because of the lime, old school cleaning agent, thanks in part to members of this board because I had NO idea how to clean/disinfect a coop in -30 weather. Lime is what's used to make whitewash, a paint that keeps all sorts of bugs away from your animals and out of the wood...as you've seen, it preserves wood. Whitewash is the reason old cow stalls still stand while the old barn falls down around them. Is it dangerous/bad? It can be :) Just like anything else. I would not sprinkle lime on every single poop spot and leave it there, but it definitely has it's uses!

Huitemafarms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Huitemafarms » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:07 am

Well i do remove the birds when I do their pens, and I'll usually sprinkle abit on a wet spot in the corner where they do their business and usually some under their water cup, thanks for the tips tho I appreciate it. I never knew the white wash was made of lime, they used to get that barn done once a year lol good way to make it look clean again too!
:rooster: Old English Games, call Ducks, bobwhite quail, ring neck pheasant and red sexlink

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 am

There's a product called Stall Dry that I use, a bit pricey but a little goes a long way, and it's dust free and works quite well. I use that for my chickens.
I had no end of trouble with those upside down stupid chicken waterers getting the bedding wet, so I got rid of all of them and I just use a bucket. The bucket is on the floor, in a corner but the handle is tied to a rope and it's hung from the ceiling just to make sure they can't spill it which they haven't. I keep the water level about an inch below the edge of the bucket, the chickens have no problem drinking from it, and it's dry under the bucket so they don't seem to be spilling any.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:35 am

I use sweet PDZ. Similar to Stall Dry, which I also use if I run out of Sweet PDZ before I can get more from Tractor Supply in Ogdensburg, NY. Can't buy it here in Canada. I prefer it because it's less dusty than Stall Dry, is just as absorbent and doesn't seem to hold smell a much as Stall Dry.
I put it on my poop board and sprinkle some on the floor of the coop when I change out the bedding or when there's a wet spot. Or on a broody poop before I remove it. Cuts the smell really fast, which is especially important if you happen to be there when a really stinky one gets deposited. :barf:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:29 am

I use lime in the brooders under black liner, disinfects the wooden floor but doesn't come in contact with the chicks.
I use deep litter bedding on a dirt floor, so once a year everything comes out and the floor gets scraped and limed, before the bedding goes back in.
I wouldn't use it on wet spots, best way to deal with that, is to remove wet bedding and replace with fresh wood shavings.
If it's a place that gets wet continuously an old "car floor mats" work well.

kortispoultry
On the Roost

Post by kortispoultry » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Huitemafarms wrote:Does anyone use this? Is it safe for a chicken? I worked on a dairy farm years ago and it was a tie stall barn. I had too scrape the manure from behind the cow into the stable cleaner, after that he had me put some lime powder on the wet spot remaining. Since then I'll put it on the wetter spots when I'm cleaning up a chicken pen. I notice it keeps the wood floor from getting wet and rotting as well. I put shavings or straw over top of course but I was just wondering if it was bad for them
I use hydrated lime all the time after I clean out my pens. (Early Spring, Summer and late Fall). A thin layer is put down on the floor, whether concrete or wood and over top of this I put wood shavings. I also use a small cup of hydrated lime, (sprinkled on the floor), every time I sweep out the barn. Keeps things clean and kills bacteria. I swear by it and have been doing this for as long as I can remember. Also remember using this in the dairy and sheep barns when I was a kid. Pete.

Huitemafarms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Huitemafarms » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Makes Simons doo-doo a little easier to clean up eh Pete? That's a smart idea you have concrete floors right Pete?

kortispoultry
On the Roost

Post by kortispoultry » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 pm

Huitemafarms wrote:Makes Simons doo-doo a little easier to clean up eh Pete? That's a smart idea you have concrete floors right Pete?
That damned Simon has been evicted from the chicken barn, he has now set up house in the little horse barn!! I am at my wits end with this rascal cat!!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Chinese food Pete ???
Sorry cat lovers . :-(
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Cleaning and Disinfecting”