Anyone doing deep-litter method?

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST We checked our local feed store, and they didn't carry the wood pellets, so we went with shavings...

See if your feed store carries the McFeeter's quick pick ultrafine shavings. They are more absorbent than the regular wood shavings. They cost more but IMO it was worth the money.
Alright Robbie, we'll check.
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Co-President of U of Guelph's Poultry Club
Proud to be called a chicken

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST I use deep litter and love it, BUT for chickens only.
I wouldn't keep ducks over winter for that one reason, the bedding can't be kept dry and it will be better or worse with different types of bedding, but it will not be dry with ducks.
The main problem, that kind of environment is too hard on the chickens respiratory system.
I guess I can only try for drier bedding...
We didn't really have a choice with these ducks - they're our breeding group of muscovies, so we don't get ducklings if we don't overwinter... Definitely see where you're coming from though.
"So please ask yourself: What I would do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it." Sheryl Sandberg

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Ninja,
I found it took a while for the system to start to "do" anything. For the longest while it was just dirty shavings... at this time of year, I imagine that it might take a while for the right (healthy) bacteria to move into your coop. IF your ventilation is good, just give it some time. : )

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

So, (I'm estimating here...) cut about 225" squared out of the east wall, and 148" squared out of the south wall. Hopefully that will be enough to help counter the wetness of the ducks, and poultry in general. There is also what I consider a "fresh air intake" near the bottom of the east wall... When I had finished cutting, I could see dust motes gently exiting through the new holes in the walls :) Makes me feel much better - have been meaning to increase places for ventilation for a long while.
Cuttlefish wrote:QR_BBPOST Ninja,
I found it took a while for the system to start to "do" anything. For the longest while it was just dirty shavings... at this time of year, I imagine that it might take a while for the right (healthy) bacteria to move into your coop. IF your ventilation is good, just give it some time. : )
That is a very good point! I hadn't quite thought of it like that befor... Hopefully the new ventilation will help create a good environment for this beneficial bacteria!
Would oxygenation and turning of the shavings help these good bacteria grow?

ross, do you turn yours? And when do you add new bedding to the old?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Chickens turn it , I never remove all only when getting to deep for door bottoms then top up with fresh . With this method I find you have to keep feed & water containers well off floors so no bedding gets kicked into . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:40 am

I gave up on deep litter with ducks. Their poop is just so watery and there's so much of it, that in the limited space I have/had, it wouldn't work. Love it with the chickens though. If you want a head-start on getting the good bacteria going, make up a lactic acid bacteria spray. It's easy, uses milk and rice water. It will kill odour almost right away, and really helps the composting process.

Chicken Ninja
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chicken Ninja » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:39 pm

Hmmm... Very interesting www! Are there any specific instructions for making the spray?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:32 am

Wood pellets? Aren't you talking about the same pellets used in a pellet stove? Every hardware store around here has it.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:49 am

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Wood pellets? Aren't you talking about the same pellets used in a pellet stove? Every hardware store around here has it.
No, the pellets to use are the ones specifically made for bedding. The bedding ones are made from softwood and I think they aren't as dense, so they soak up moisture more effectively.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 am

RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Bedding Choices and Methods”