Anyone tried "healthi- straw" bedding?

constructoman
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Anyone tried "healthy- straw" bedding?

Post by constructoman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Tried it. It does not absorb liquids.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Anyone tried "healthy- straw" bedding?

Post by Robbie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:13 am

I should be getting a couple of bags soon, we'll see how it works for chickens. Thankfully no urine to mop up!
The perfect bedding might be a mix of two products, we'll see.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm going to Hagersville on Friday. I'm going to drop in, see what the pricing is, see what I can find out. I shall report back.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST I've asked some questions, waiting for replies- I'll keep you posted.
Anything?

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Still in the works.

bodabing
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by bodabing » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm

I have been using bagged chopped straw. I like it. Goes a lot further in bedding than shavings. It is not dusty like wood shavings are. If pens are dry I really like peat moss the best though.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:38 pm

Peat moss?

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:22 pm

I got a delivery of two bales of Healthi Straw today- Thank you Dayna from Specialty Equine Feed in Hagersville. I sent her an email asking a few questions, and here they are, delivered, all the way up here, and on the other side of Toronto !
I haven't even paid for them yet- The way doing business ought to be!!! :-) - it was $6.50 per bale, no delivery charge tax was included so pretty well better than free (!!!!!)

The bales are bigger than the McFeeters shavings, but lighter. The straw is compressed, there's a lot in the bag. The straw is chopped very fine and it's true it's virtually dust free. I put some on the poop boards as well and tomorrow we'll see how well it scoops. The straw is much lighter than the McFeeter's shavings so this should help with the 'ole carpal tunnel syndrome, scooping the poop!
It smells like straw, nice and fresh, reminds me of having horses. I have some photos, will download tomorrow.

Healthi Straw:
http://healthistraw.com/

How to contact Dayna:
Dayna Hale 9058066114
equinefeed@icloud.com

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:52 am

Quick report back- the poop separated out nicely from the healthi straw. I use a horse manure fork with 1/2" hardware cloth zip tied onto it.
Should compost more quickly than shavings.
The only down side so far- minor stuff- it sticks to fleece and socks (itchy ) and it's light enough so that the hens easily scratch it into their water bucket.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:48 am

Just wondering what you think of the Healthi-Straw, now that you've been using it for a little while?
Nice that it's virtually dust-free. As for it sticking to fleece and socks, I find that flax bedding and wood shavings do too, so that wouldn't be a reason for me to give it a pass.
The price is better than flax bedding, for sure, and also more cost-effective than the McFeeters QuickPick bedding - the yellow bag at TSC sells for $6.99 here unless you do bulk buy of 10 or more bags @ $6.50 each, which isn't feasible for me.
How far does a bag of Healthi-Straw go, and does it last awhile before it's time to replace?
Do you have any pics of the stuff? I'd be interested to see what it looks like fresh, and after a bit of use.
How did it work on your "poop" boards, out of curiosity?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Bedding Choices and Methods”