Truckload of flax- anyone want to split one- Durham region

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 am

It's not compressed, I have half a bag in the barn, will check. Off hand I'd say it's more than twice the price of the McFeeter's quick pick wood shavings on an equal volume basis.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:33 am

I guess folks have to decide in each case whether it does twice the job for their use . Never seen it so have no idea . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:23 am

In my experience flax bedding goes much further than wood shavings. I use both - McFeeter's yellow bag for the nest boxes and flax bedding for the coop floor. I find it's easy to pick out droppings from the flax and it doesn't cake like shavings do after a while. I guess for me it's worth paying a bit more for flax bedding especially in the winter months because it does stay good for much longer.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

modern17
Starting to Crow

Post by modern17 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:21 pm

When Flax bedding first came on the scene.. I tried it.. not for me or for my birds.... The mold factor alone was unbelievable. I liked how it was ( for the first few days) dry and clean.. but if there was a smiggen of moisture.. there was mold.Around waterers it was brutal .... It got to the point after about a month that I just gave up using it and the last I gave to a friend with cattle who found the same issues... not a good health situation for birds in my opinion..Respitory issues would be a issue with long term use in my opinon.. I have gone to a equine shaving ( Champion Bedding) that is kiln dried sifted shavings... you to not get the gag factor when spreading it..and that is always a concern for me.I like to clean my birds at least every 2 weeks.. this keeps things fresh ... its been a struggle this year with the lack of cold weather , which increases the humidity level in the barn... with the amount of birds I keep... just means for more freaquent cleanouts...They are only about $1.00 more a bag than regular shavings....Just my 2 cents .

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:07 pm

I've never had a mold issue using flax bedding. I have my waterer raised up which seems to keep spills to a minimum. I scoop out obvious manure daily, do a more thorough clean once a week and add fresh. It's my bedding of choice. If there were a healthi-straw distributor in my area, I would give that a try, as a backup bedding material. My second choice of bedding is McFeeters gold bag fine wood shavings.
Perhaps your mold problem was due to improper storage where you bought the bags, since the bags are paper, and would allow moisture to penetrate.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:44 am

I have never had a mould issue. Flax is all I've used. I even used it for ducks for a while. eventually I mixed wood chips and flax together for ducks because in 5 mins they have a clean coop into a swamp land. Oh ducks!

Flax is impressive stuff. It should break down easily in a compost pile (remember I'm fairly new to chickens, compost pile is new) it's easily maintained and when a poop gets on it, it's really simple to scoop and chuck without a lot of product wastage. Before I was using a poop tarp I found that the coop never really smelt like crap. Mind you my coop has herbs in litter and boxes,but poop is poop. Even in the midst of the summer it was good. Perhaps a great odour absorber too.

I'm a flax lifer!! I am going to try the stuff Robbie mentioned from the feed supply in Hagersville. Ducks. Mandatory this year.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:44 am

I should mention I do need feed or water in the coops.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:18 pm

I got rid of all my upside down waterers. IMO they are nothing but a pain, no matter how hard I tried the stupid things would always spill water in the coop. They are just plain dreadful and I don't know why the design persists. I just use a small Fortex rubber horse pail, works great. I would not use flax or healthi straw if mould was an issue, I'd stick to the shavings. I don't think I would use either straw or flax for ducks. If they did not eat the wood bedding pellets that's probably what I'd use.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Bedding Choices and Methods”