Want to change my layer feed. Any suggestions?

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Jaye..no problem...i'm hoping that its a viable option to me...I'll let you know
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:55 am

Just because your animals don't relish a feed doesn't mean that it isn't good for them. Oats are one of the last scratch ingredients eaten by my layers. Oats however have some very good qualities that other grains don't have and help keep self-fed hens from getting obese. Given the chance my hens would pig out on wheat and barely touch their Layer pellets and waste the Oats Barley and smattering of Peas in their scratch.
My solution is to withhold their scratch to the point where 50% of the ration consumed is lay pellets. As Ross Said Observe your critters. I watch my production, feather quality and especially my hatching rate.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:33 am

It's interesting how the flock gets used to different management.
My birds have free access to layer pellets, beside that they get a breakfast of whatever veg/fruit is available, which they actually wait for every morning, yes, I am well trained. ;)
At lunch time, when I collect eggs, I add whole oats on top of their feed and they plunge in as if they haven't eaten in days and carefully clean up the oats, I am sure to them it's more of an entertainment value, then the fact it's good for them.
Scratch served on top of feed in the evening welcomed with the same enthusiasm and cleaned up in a manner of minutes.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:52 pm

This might be of interest:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16189 ... dium=email

Ask An Expert: Live Q&A with Purina Nutrition Expert Dr. Patrick Biggs
Have a question for poultry nutrition expert, Dr. Patrick Biggs? Visit our Nutrition forum, sponsored by Purina, to get your question answered LIVE during our Q&A, next Wednesday, March 9th 2016, from 11am to 2pm CST!

You can also start a thread with your question in advance of the Q&A for a higher chance of receiving an answer!

We're looking forward to seeing you there!

Return to “Feed Choices”