Want to change my layer feed. Any suggestions?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:51 am

I have been feeding my hens layer mash, which they much prefer over the two different types of pelleted layer feed I tried prior to switching to the mash. The pelleted feed from Ritchie's was too big for my Silkie, and they didn't like the taste of the smaller pelleted feed I got from New Life, so weren't eating much at all. It could have been that the feed was stale, but I tried 3 bags of it and they unenthusiastic about all of them.
The problem with the mash is wastage: they pick out the good bits and leave the rest. I'm concerned that they are leaving behind the pellets that contain the vitamins and minerals. I have a feeling that they have stopping laying again (or haven't started up again as the case may be) because they aren't getting enough B vitamins in their diet.
Anyway, since we are getting down to the bottom of the bag again, I thought I'd try another source, but don't really know where to go. I'm in the SE Ottawa area.
Any ideas?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:09 am

I feed the Alliston feed mills non- gmo corn/soy etc. lay pellets, and in the warmer months the Windy Fields soy corn mash, which I wet a bit so it sticks together. I tried oil to stick it together in winter but that didn't work at all. I don't feed the mash in the winter for the same reason as you, they sort through it. I asked windy fields if they had pelleted feed, they don't unfortunately. My chickens did not like the Shur gain feed at all.
My (chicken) growers really liked the turkey grower from Jones Mills, I didn't try any other feed from the mill. http://www.jfm.on.ca/locations.htm
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:32 am

I switched to Rooney in Iroquois (think there's one in Kemptville too) I use their layer mash now and it's costing me less because I'm finding less wastage. My previous stuff was dusty, gross and mouldy was the final straw. This has seed and real stuff in it.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:39 am

I feed Windy Fields. Non GMO and soy free. In the warm months/days I moisten as well to hold it together. Like tomorrow will be +11 here so it will be moistened for them. There is some waste left behind when not moistened, but for the most part I put my foot down a few mornings a week and they clean it up. They also get the left over dusty stuff Into their scrambled eggs.
Again an effort not all want to get into.

I will say I think Windy Fields is a premium top notch feed. And I love to support small family farms and people who strive to do the best for the livestock they produce feed for, humans and the environment.

http://www.windyfieldfarms.com

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Using Purina Golden Harvest layer. Not a mash, more a crumble. Turkeys, peafowl and chickens on it. Switched last summer and they have all been doing great on it. Shortest molt I've ever had. I also mix in scratch which I vary in amount depending on temp etc. The scratch at the mill in St George is the best I've seen in years.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Jaye,
We feed the Shurgain Lay Crumb which we get from Rooney's in Kemptville, Corner of HWY 43 and cty rd 22 (South Gower Drive, east of 416).
I find that with lay mash they always bill out about 30% so there is a lot of wastage looking for the good stuff.
With lay crumb it is all the same and there is not the bill out unless the guineas are in it looking for duck feed.
Our silkie's have no problem with the Lay crumb we get.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Hey, thanks everyone!
Robbie, Sandy and Epona, Alliston feed mills and Windy Field Farms and Purina feed all sound like great options, but neither have any distributors in SE Ontario, so none of them are an option for me.
However , when I read your posts, KB and DtCM, it dawned on me that my feed management is the problem, not the feed: My hens are spoiled rotten! They get fermented feed twice a day, so they are never very hungry and consequently are picky as heck with their free-choice layer mash during the day. My layer mash comes from Rooney's as well (Rooney's rocks), and it's a very good quality feed. I have never once had a stale or moldy bag, and my hens they went crazy for it when I originally switched to it from pelleted feed, so I know they like it. Also, I know it's good quality feed just by look and smell.
I will cut back to feeding fermented feed only in the morning.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Good stuff Jaye that's what I always talk about watch & listen to your critters . Animal Husbandry at its finest . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Jaye...i have been feeding layer mash that get from Baker's Feeds in Forfar..its their own mix, so i doubt very much its totally non GMO and i for sure know it's not organic...ive found out ( ironically enough ) that the guy that bought my father in law's dairy farm back in '79 sold his quota some years ago and the herd and went into organics...he mixes his own grains etc. and sells layer mash blends...i'm going to stop in this week to see what his prices are and availability...if you are interested then i'll pass along that info...can get it for you and ship it to Kemptville as MJ goes there to work...simple enough...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:50 pm

TomK wrote:...ive found out ( ironically enough ) that the guy that bought my father in law's dairy farm back in '79 sold his quota some years ago and the herd and went into organics...he mixes his own grains etc. and sells layer mash blends...i'm going to stop in this week to see what his prices are and availability...if you are interested then i'll pass along that info...can get it for you and ship it to Kemptville as MJ goes there to work...simple enough...
Aw, snap, TomK! :doh: I wish I'd read your post sooner! I just picked up another bag of layer mash this past Saturday. I would definitely be interested in what you find out about what he has available and what his prices are, though, for my next feed purchase.

Return to “Feed Choices”