Sunflower Meal and Mealworms

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:52 pm

you can buy them by the 1000's at any reptile speciality shop or online for a fraction of the price as these dried ones. then put them in the fridge which will prevent them from pupating and you wont have to care for them at all. or put them in a bucket or rubbermaid and culture them yourself. :-) to get the adults out feed them only bran and a potato and get a strainer with holes small enough to let the bran fall through. I used to culture them along with many other bugs and creepie crawlies, fruit flies, super mealworms, silkworms, flour beetles, springtails, mice and rats. Hehe. have fun.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Y'all are gross! But this convo does have memories to it hahaha!
I recall this convo now that it has happened, from a previous thread. Gag!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:05 pm

:idunno: :rofl: LOL Silkworms are really tasty and super nutritious, one of the biggest and best on the market, they were about a buck a worm when I sold them. they taste like mulberries!!!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Apparently the botulism risk applied to cultured mealworms not just wild ones, plus freeze-dried can still have botulism toxins. I am trying to find more info on the botulism topics.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:58 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST :idunno: :rofl: LOL Silkworms are really tasty and super nutritious, one of the biggest and best on the market, they were about a buck a worm when I sold them. they taste like mulberries!!!
G A G

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:04 pm

I cant wait to hear the report Jim. very curious about this.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:37 pm

i would guess that botulism in them would be if the litter and food was allowed to spoil-like tomatoes can breed botulism when they go bad. i would think if the "cultures" were kept fairly decently clean and not rotting they would be fine.

the sunflower pellets look like the beet pulp i get for the horses...those i reconstitute by soaking in warm water for a little bit....maybe it's the same with the sunflower pellets? they should fall apart in flakes or chunks if so...

maybe someday if i work up my nerve (and suppress my gag reflex) i'll make my own meal worms. my chickens love those and the lawn grubs, and the wireworms and stuff i dig up in my garden. cutworms (those awful black fat worms) are a total favorite for them.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Here is the thread where it was previously discussed

http://poultrytalkontario.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1175

Return to “Feed Choices”