Sunflower Meal and Mealworms

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:40 pm

So a farm, Kricklewoods Farm, between my work and my home, grows black oil sunflowers and cool presses the seeds to make sunflower oil, then they sell the leftover sunflower meal. I stopped by the farm today and picked up over 100 pounds for $20, I thought I would give it a try at mix in with my feed. It is about 28% protein which is good, but high in fibre and lower in energy, so I will not feed too much, but figured it was worth a try. Plus next time if I bring my own container, I can get a 20 gallon garbage can full for $15, even cheaper.

The meal comes in long extruded cylinders, they break up easy enough, but need to find an efficient way to grind them up a bit but not to make them into a powder. I was thinking a hand meat grinder, or one of those hand corner shellers, if I can find one cheap.
Sunflower Meal.jpg
For additional chicken treats I also picked up a bag dried mealworms at my local Walmart and a bag of Alfalfa cubes that I will soak in water.
mealworms.jpg
Good eats!!

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 am

Careful on the mealworms because some of the Jumbo ones are hormone treated. Perhaps Al can help us out on this.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Careful on the mealworms because some of the Jumbo ones are hormone treated. Perhaps Al can help us out on this.
Thanks KB very good point to mention.

I have lots of experience here with mealworms, being in the reptile hobby/industry for over 20 years. The mealworms are Tenebrio molitor, the common mealworm, and based are their size look to be what is called the giant mealworm, which are treated with an insect growth hormone that prevents the larva from pupating thus it grows larger. The hormone is quite insect specific, and I only plan on feeding these once in long while (too many birds, would be too expensive, even if I wanted to) so should not have any issues. The birds probably get just as many chemicals from eating insects when free ranging.

JimW
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 am

I remember reading something about mealworms and a disease. It was on the forum here. I immediately stopped feeding them dried mealworms. Recall?

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:12 am

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST I remember reading something about mealworms and a disease. It was on the forum here. I immediately stopped feeding them dried mealworms. Recall?
Good memory Sandy, I totally forgot about that. Modern17 reported going to a seminar and it was mentioned that mealworms as a potenital source of botulism in chickens. Maybe I will have to eat a few myself to make sure they are safe..... off to find the chili powder and some chocolate. :)

JimW
Black & Blue Poultry

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am

Haha Jim! Can you video that for us all?

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Haha Jim! Can you video that for us all?
Sure!!! I have eaten them numerous times, just need to make sure they fall in my new healthy eating plan. lol

Jim
Black & Blue Poultry

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Post by Dominion Link » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm

We feed hay cubes to our horses with their morning grain. I tried soaking some for the chickens and ducks a few weeks ago and they had no interest in it at all. I had figured they'd be all over it, but nope.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I've eaten them too, many times actually. I'd be counting them out at the pet store I used to work at and someone would walk up and "say ewww grosss how can you touch those?" so I would pop a couple in my mouth chew them up and swallow. they would walk away gagging and I would LMAO. they are cultured in a sterile environment and fed bran and a potatoe or carrot, I wasnt worried about it and they never made me sick! I dont know much about the cases of botulism but I would suspect they would be from wild mealworms? the kind that destroy gardens, I cant remember but there are many different species all over the world. but I really dont know. Iv never heard of a captive animal getting botulism from captive grown mealworms anyways.

and to be honest Jim knows much more than I do about reptiles and amphibians, I've been out of the loop for about ten years now. I would love to get some more but if I cant eat it I dont need it. at least that's what I keep telling myself. LOL. I would love to get back into breeding snakes and chameleons.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll pick some up for my chickies then!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Feed Choices”