Soldier Fly Larvae

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by Robbie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:33 am

I buy feed from Jones' mill, they have pork protein in it. I also supplement with soaked cat or dog kibble every now and then, it's very easy and the chickens love it.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by JimW » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 am

LongCrow wrote:QR_BBPOST I worked at a feed mill a few years back and they used pork meal in most dairy supplements. It should be fairly available in bulk. It is produced in Rothsay. Here is a detail link.

http://www.rothsay.ca/products/protein_meals/pork_meal/

Another option is bloodmeal also used in supplements. Higher in protein but can be really messy while handling.
Food for thought.
Thanks LongCrow I will look into the pork meal.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

JimW
Head Chicken

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by JimW » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:55 am

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST I buy feed from Jones' mill, they have pork protein in it. I also supplement with soaked cat or dog kibble every now and then, it's very easy and the chickens love it.
Thanks Robbie I will contact Jones' Mill.

I supplement with cat or dog kibble as well. But for the quail it means I have to grind it up, so another set involved, plus I want meat protein in my quail feed on a regular basis. Looking for a blend I can buy or mix myself to simplify feeding time.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by Robbie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:46 am

Jim the Jone's mills feeds have a 24% turkey/pheasant starter with pork meal that my chicks do very well on, comes in medicated or not, but unfortunately it only comes in crumbles.

LongCrow
On the Roost

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by LongCrow » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Another thought. A lot of the smaller mills will make a special formula as you request in only 1 or 2 tonne batches. Pricing is almost solely affected by protein content. If you have any Amish or Mennonites in the area those mills are your best bet. Locally I think Jones, Spectrum and W-S Feeds do this.

Maximus

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by Maximus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Why don't you just give them raw meat? It's gotta be better than dehydrated, cooked,
Turned into meal and supplemented wth soy to increase the protein back up.

My crew gets raw meat. I know most don't like the idea but really if you're feeding meat why not give it in its natural nutrient beneficial form?

Just my thoughts.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by Robbie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Yeah I used to give them bone dust (meat and bone from the saw blade) which they loved. But now I have so many chickens that $$$ is an issue.

JimW
Head Chicken

Soldier Fly Larvae

Post by JimW » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:57 am

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Why don't you just give them raw meat? It's gotta be better than dehydrated, cooked,
Turned into meal and supplemented wth soy to increase the protein back up.

My crew gets raw meat. I know most don't like the idea but really if you're feeding meat why not give it in its natural nutrient beneficial form?

Just my thoughts.
I do give meat once in awhile to my birds, but looking for a more convenient and easier method to give them animal protein, especially for my quail. Something I can just put in their feeder when I fill it up every couple days. Plus the coturnix quail can be violent enough, males fighting, pick at each others eyes, can be very rough on females breeding. I don't need for them to get the "taste of meat" lol.

The fly larva would be the ideal protein source, as insects would be the most natural animal protein source for birds.

For the short term I will probably look into the pork protein option.
Black & Blue Poultry

Return to “Feed Choices”