Fermented Feed

Maximus

Fermented Feed

Post by Maximus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:49 am

I started fermenting the feed. Wow! What a huge hit With the chickens!!

Does anyone do fermented for ducklings? I'm going to start a fermenting process for their feed today and see how they like it.

I'm curious if others only feed fermented or also their regular feed?

I followed this method. Very simple to do with many benefits for the flock
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/0 ... -in-3.html

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Fermented Feed

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:02 pm

I keep meaning to try this.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Maximus

Fermented Feed

Post by Maximus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:19 pm

It's a good way to stretch your feed too. I swear they licked the trays clean. Now to figure out how to feed them, like What type of feeder. I don't like the feed trays, it's a moist food.

They actually drank the liquid that was left behind too.

I wonder with the pro and prebiotics if it would help prevent things like vent gleet? I haven't had to deal with that yet, KNOCK ON WOOD... But just curious.
Last edited by Maximus on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Fermented Feed

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Not sure about thatm but I don't think you can go wrong feeding the absolute best quality, species appropriate food to any animal.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Fermented Feed

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:21 pm

One of my girls had serious vent gleet, in spite of daily feedings of fermented grains. Just saying. I think she got into something mouldy - so, candida overload - and fermented feed isn't enough to fix that. Had to bring out the big guns. Fermenting grains is great for breaking down the anti-nutrients in the grains and making them easier for a chicken system to process. This is especially good for mature hens, because they don't process feed to extract the nutrients they need as efficiently any more. One of my senoir girls, a production breed, is proof positive that it makes a huge difference. Not overnight, mind you, but at going on six years old, and having had shell quality issues since pretty much 3 years old, I can report that although her eggshells would never be considered A+ thickness, they have improved by orders of magnitude over the last two years.
Last edited by Jaye on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Maximus

Fermented Feed

Post by Maximus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Curious. What was the big guns?

Jaye

Fermented Feed

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:33 pm

CanesOral (fluconazole). Followed by probiotics. I posted the dosage on a thread about my hen's condition recently. My dosage source was from poultrypedia.
Last edited by Jaye on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Maximus

Fermented Feed

Post by Maximus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 pm

That's very interesting. I have a girl that either drops a shell-less egg off the roost each night or I get an egg with a shell so fragile you carry it with as little pressure as possible and feed it to the dog or cats before it cracks. I curious now to see how she turns out. Thanks for that tidbit of info

Jaye

Fermented Feed

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:47 pm

My hen that had a candida overload is just fine now. My old girl with the shell quality problem still lays an average of 5-6 eggs a week in the warmer months (so far, anyway), and none have been soft-shelled or shell-less for a very long time. Granted, they still have a bit of a sandpaper finish on one end, but that's always been the case, and even that is less rough than it used to be.
Here's my original thread about treating yeast infection, which includes dosing info:
http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... =14&t=1346

Maximus

Fermented Feed

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 am

image.jpeg
Huge hit!!

Ahhh yes now I remember Jaye.

Return to “Feed Choices”