Amprolium medicated feed- how long?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:47 am

If you feed Amprolium medicated feed, how long do you keep your chicks on it? When you stop, do you just switch over, or wean them from it slowly by mixing in new feed? And if so, how old are they when you start mixing, and how old when they are completely off it?

Best Answer by WLLady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:58 am
usually 6 weeks at my place, unless it's my last hatch of the season and then until the bag is gone....i don't like storing feed too long. i've had chickens on it until they were 14 weeks with no ill effects (to finish the bag). i also am lazy and i don't mix, unless i have chicks and growers in the same pen....the bigger pelletted feed i use as grower is too big for little beaks....then i'll mix so the little guys eat too (if i put in separate feeders the older ones eat only the chick feed and the chicks get none!). usually though 6 weeks and then onto grower without mixing....

GO TO FULL POST ➙
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:58 am

usually 6 weeks at my place, unless it's my last hatch of the season and then until the bag is gone....i don't like storing feed too long. i've had chickens on it until they were 14 weeks with no ill effects (to finish the bag). i also am lazy and i don't mix, unless i have chicks and growers in the same pen....the bigger pelletted feed i use as grower is too big for little beaks....then i'll mix so the little guys eat too (if i put in separate feeders the older ones eat only the chick feed and the chicks get none!). usually though 6 weeks and then onto grower without mixing....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:35 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST usually 6 weeks at my place, unless it's my last hatch of the season and then until the bag is gone....i don't like storing feed too long. i've had chickens on it until they were 14 weeks with no ill effects (to finish the bag). i also am lazy and i don't mix, unless i have chicks and growers in the same pen....the bigger pelletted feed i use as grower is too big for little beaks....then i'll mix so the little guys eat too (if i put in separate feeders the older ones eat only the chick feed and the chicks get none!). usually though 6 weeks and then onto grower without mixing....

Same here

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks WLLady and Doug, I'd better order in another bag, I will run out at five weeks.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Feed Choices”