Spoiled Feed

Maximus

Spoiled Feed

Post by Maximus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 am

How can you tell if a feed is spoiled or the flock is spoiled?

My layers have turned their nose up at this feed, which is a bit different than it has been in the past. There seems to be a lot of grit in it.

BUT. They get a scoop of corn to scratch on the ground every day.

The chicks will run to the layers feeders and eat it, so I'm not sure if my layers are spoiled and I should take them off of their corn/scratch that they loved through the winter and are still enjoying. I don't want to scrap approx 10kg of food if they're just being snooty.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Spoiled Feed

Post by goatgal35 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:13 am

smell and taste it, yes I did say taste it, you'll know if it is off. I don't feed anything to my guys that I haven't tasted at least once before :0

Maximus

Spoiled Feed

Post by Maximus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 am

Hmmm. Smell ok. Taste. Well. I'll see.

I think I have my answer. Two chicks are puffed and gave themselves time out in the corner. So they are penned with vitamin water and probiotics in their feed.

Stupid feed! When I opened this bag it's not the same. I have a new bag and I'm going to take pics and show my supplier. I think they were trying to stretch it over the winter but I need quality and reliability. Hopefully the new bag is better than this one. I'll have to do it when I get home.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Spoiled Feed

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Watch for the grit, it will break your teeth. Smell it, if it smells musty it's a problem. I say if your chickens aren't eating it they know something, but they do prefer the junk food scratch so that might be it too.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Spoiled Feed

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Also dig your hand to the middle and bottom of the bag. If it feels wet dont feed it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Spoiled Feed

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 am

So, not only does it smell musky, it's not even the right feed. Weird. I've emailed supplier, waiting on response.

My feed is in bins, I don't leave in the bags.

WLLady

Spoiled Feed

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 am

musky smell = mold.....just might not see the mold yet.....chances are the corner of the bag got damp or something, or it was last run through the mill on a humid day....sigh. guess the chickens know best! you might be able to use it coyote bait.....? just a thought.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Spoiled Feed

Post by Jaye » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Having read in several places just recently that people don't leave their feed in bags, I'm curious: Is this to minimize the chance of feed going moldy? I have always put my feed, sack and all, into aluminum garbage cans. Is this not a good thing to do?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady

Spoiled Feed

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:44 pm

i pour mine into plastic bins.....but that's only because i can't stand rolling the bags down, so i pour them into the bins. i don't leave it in the bags alone in case we end up with water on the floor getting the bags wet, or mice-they chew through the bags. if the bags are damp when i buy i make sure to dump it all asap....and throw out the bags. for me it's just convenience (anti-dog, anti-mouse, anti-rat, anti-wild bird poo) and i have my bins on moving dollies so i can wheel them around easily. oh and my feed scoops fit in the bins perfectly (so i don't lose them) but if i try to scoop out of the bags the bag is too narrow to get a full scoop.....lol :doh:

Maximus

Spoiled Feed

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:13 pm

I emailed the supplier and showed him pictures. He said if it has grit it's poultry feed but admits that this is not my usual layer ration. Oats are too big and no peas etc. And the grit is huge. Could of had screw up with the labelling. The flock is very happy to have their new bag of feed.

I think it smells musky but it could be because I'm used to the other stuff. So I'm packing it back up for him and he's replacing with next delivery.

Geese, wish I clued in earlier that the feed was unusual looking. But....this happens when you run with your head cut off.

Return to “Feed Choices”