Feed with meat protein

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am

Unless it's chopped extremely fine, regular straw does not make good chicken bedding, for sure. The bedding particle size MUST be smaller than the poop! I'd try sand if I knew for sure the barn wouldn't flood.
Anyway I think I've hijacked my own thread :-)
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:05 am

Sand. Hmmm. Wouldn't that easily inhabit bugs? But I do like the sound of sand. If I can't get flax. I won't pay an arm and leg, but flax is the best in my opinion.

You know what I hate? Here's a premium product, it's works fantastic, try it you'll love it. I try. I love.
Just kidding. We're done selling it now. Ugh!

The straw is not finely chopped. I'm going to hagersville auction next Friday. Because apparently I need temptation. Maybe I'll drop in and check out this healthy straw.

What did you give them heck about? What's the pros and cons?

Robbie
Head Chicken

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:48 am

Sand is a good option, the only two negatives I can think of are the possibility of dust and if it gets wet, that's a problem, because it's heavy to clean out. No bugs in sand. Check out the Chicken Chick's comments on sand.
Pick up a bag of Healthi straw from Hagersville, see how you like it if you can't get flax. It's not quite as easy as flax, but I think it's cheaper, defnitely lighter, a bit tricker to muck out the poops. You want the ultra fine chop, 1/4" and a little bigger size.
I did not get responses to repeated email attempts, so I contacted the manufacturer and that fixed everything. I have to follow up with that, it's a pain though I wish there was a dealer closer to me. Unless they can deliver, I'll have to make do with McFeeter's.
If the McFeeter's ultrafine shavings were less dusty, I'd be satisfied with that, but there's too much dust.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Feed with meat protein

Post by JimW » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:26 pm

Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST If anyone's looking for feed with :eek: *gasp* meat protein, Jones Mills has 24% protein turkey/pheasant starter with pork meal in it. My chicks are doing fabulous on it, no picking, no problems. They love it. I'm not sure which of their other feeds has meat, but this one does. Available with or without amprolium.
Thanks for the lead. I have been looking for feed with meat protein with no luck, they are not close to me but will look to get some at some point.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Robbie
Head Chicken

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 pm

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST
Robbie wrote:QR_BBPOST If anyone's looking for feed with :eek: *gasp* meat protein, Jones Mills has 24% protein turkey/pheasant starter with pork meal in it. My chicks are doing fabulous on it, no picking, no problems. They love it. I'm not sure which of their other feeds has meat, but this one does. Available with or without amprolium.
Thanks for the lead. I have been looking for feed with meat protein with no luck, they are not close to me but will look to get some at some point.
They aren't close to me either, my regular feed store ordered it in. The Jones mills people could probably tell you if they have any distributors close to you or might know who could get it for you.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:58 pm

PS: the turkey 17.5% finisher has meat as well, but the 19% duck grower does not.

Seastar
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Feed with meat protein

Post by Seastar » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:49 pm

Maximus, what herbs do you use and how young is too young?
Thanks, John

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 am

Hey John,

They say under 8 weeks is too young, but I start around 10 weeks and introduce slowly.

Herbs I use vary. For the bedding in the summer I use peppermint, eucalyptus, catnip and tansy. These are for repelling insects, especially with my mosquito problem here. Then I mist the coop doors and walls (inside) with a mixture of rubbing alcohol, essential oils of peppermint and eucalyptus.

They have a poop tarp under their roost so I was down with tea tree oil and vinegar and when hung back up mist with the peppermint mixture.

In the winter, cooler months I use ground cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon and anise. Just throw it on the litter.

For their nesting boxes I use: Lavendar, peppermint, spearmint, eucalyptus, chamomile, catnip, tansy, wormwood and hibiscus.
Sometimes I'll add bayleaves crumbled.

I get my essential oils from New directions. They have the best prices and I love their products.
I get my herbs from the US, StarWest Botanical. I opened a wholesale account (I have a few poultry keepers that buy my blend) and even with the CDN dollar being crappy they are still cheaper than anywhere I have found yet. And really, their herbs are premium. Not a single complaint.

Winter/cool months coop blend (also has ground cinnamon, not just sticks)
image.jpeg
Nesting box blend
image.jpeg

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:03 am

Hey John

I should also mention that I trained my ducklings with Lavendar. They absolutely loved it!! And by ducklings I mean 1 week olds. It's how they got trained to return to the coop each night. Within 4-5 days they knew the yellow bucket meant Lavendar and they would fall over themselves to get to the coop before me. My research didn't show herbs impacted ducklings like chicks. So I tried it and they were all fine.

Return to “Feed Choices”