Feed with meat protein

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Mon May 30, 2016 10:04 pm

If anyone's looking for feed with :eek: *gasp* meat protein, Jones Mills has 24% protein turkey/pheasant starter with pork meal in it. My chicks are doing fabulous on it, no picking, no problems. They love it. I'm not sure which of their other feeds has meat, but this one does. Available with or without amprolium.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 am

That's awesome. Pork sourced from Canada or Us? Just curious.

My young ones are loving the raw organs, scrambled eggs, and the chicken carcasses I give them. They got left over hamburgers (cooked) all mashed up with spinach salad the other day and you'd think they hadn't eaten in weeks!! Plus they spent the majority of their day chasing flies and mosquitos and digging for bugs.

I love my flock!! All of them. They're past the 'OMG you're hideous' stage and feathering out beautifully. Not Ameraucana, but I'm happy with the Easter egger title. And maybe a 'rippled' Maran in the flock too. (what are they called again?).

Ok, off topic. Lol. Sorry.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Sorry I'm not sure where the pork is sourced from, but here's the website http://www.jfm.on.ca/products.htm
They have all kinds of feeds including organic.
Chickens need meat! But forget feeding them your leftovers, I want them! ;-)
Rippled Marans? Not sure what that one is, but there are quite a few colours in that breed.

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Rippled, like he looks like a barred rock. But I know it's not barred maran. Or is it? LOL.

Thanks for the site. Will check it out.

While I'm thinking of it, Found a flax farm. Closest location for distribution seems to be freelton or Milton. Seems not so close to me, but I will just bulk buy. I am not happy with straw. Grrrr!!! Need to check out their pricing as well. Haven't gotten that far.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Feed with meat protein

Post by goatgal35 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm

"Cuckoo" is what the barred looking pattern is called.

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Right!!! Cuckoo!! Not sure why I can never remember that. Maybe because it's the word cuckoo lol.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:26 pm

What didn't you like about the straw?

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 pm

It smells. I can't get the poop out easily.
Hate the straw actually

Robbie
Head Chicken

Feed with meat protein

Post by Robbie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Was this the chopped Healthi straw? Did you get the 1/4" stuff? Of the two, the flax was easier to sift the poop out of. But it's interesting, I found the straw smelled less than the flax. But then I don't have much of a sense of smell.

Maximus

Feed with meat protein

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:49 am

Nope, not healthy straw. Just straw. Chopped. For me i want to remove the poop with my modified rake/cage. I will say there is zero dust with it, but it doesn't matter because I throw DE in anyways and that's dusty.

The big coop still has flax bedding which will get it spring clean out either this weekend or next but maybe because I use herbs in the big coop? The little ones are still too young for it so no herbs in theirs.

I feel like flax is the best, my first choice and straw just can't compare.

Return to “Feed Choices”