NO SHOWS, AUCTIONS,BSTs etc.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

NO SHOWS, AUCTIONS,BSTs etc.

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:27 am

Here is the News Release regarding this topic
Apparently some dumb ****s seem to think it's OK to continue and apparently one went ahead last weekend!

TORONTO – The Ontario government is taking additional steps to limit the spread of avian influenza among birds in the province. Lisa Thompson, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, on the advice of the Chief Veterinarian for Ontario, has issued a Minister’s Order under the Animal Health Act, 2009, with the purpose of limiting the commingling of birds from different locations in order to reduce the risk of disease transmission.

Effective 12:01 a.m. April 9, 2022, the movement to and participation of birds in events where they commingle, such as shows, sales, swaps, fairs, sport and educational displays is prohibited. Temporarily reducing direct contact between birds from different locations will limit the spread of avian influenza and protect animal health, and is an important part of a strong biosecurity plan. This is in addition to Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) requirements in primary control zones. This Order will expire on May 9, 2022, but may be extended if required.

This builds on the government’s actions to limit the spread of high path avian influenza to date, including increasing surveillance and testing capacity and hosting webinars and providing education and resources for all those along the poultry supply chain. As well, the province has expanded mental health supports for poultry farmers and their families as they continue to manage this difficult situation.

Avian influenza is not a threat to food safety but impacts domesticated and wild birds, including chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quail, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl. Ontario poultry and eggs are safe to eat when, as always, proper handling and cooking takes place. People working with poultry should take additional precautions and are strongly encouraged to follow all public health guidelines and maintain strict biosecurity.

Avian influenza subtype H5N1 has been identified in Ontario, and eight other provinces, including Nova Scotia, and Alberta, as well as 24 US states. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is leading the disease response to this outbreak of avian influenza.

To learn more about the Minister’s Order and Chief Veterinarian for Ontario requirements, visit http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/abo ... index.html.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: NO SHOWS, AUCTIONS,BSTs etc.

Post by Jaye » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Does this also mean no pick-up of chicks from a hatchery?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:43 pm

No not at all. There are various regulations covering pickups depending on whether they are in a Zone or not. If the hatchery is in an infected zone or a buffer zone there are permits which allow movement of the chicks provided health measures are followed. The hatchery should communicte with the customer directly on how pick up will be achieved or contact the hatchery yourself to ask. Bear in mind the situation is fluid. A couple of us have decided to cancel our orders for some "fun" birds and are not bringing birds onto our properties at the present time (I never bring adults in anyway) but have in the past brought in day-olds for meat (barred rocks) or fun (blue egg layers, faverolles). It looks like the CFIA considers day olds lower risk. On returning home with the chicks quarantine for 30 days - they'll likely be in a brooder in the house anyway.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:45 pm

Jaye wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:27 pm
Does this also mean no pick-up of chicks from a hatchery?
@Jaye good to see you!
I am scheduled to pick chicks up from a hatchery in a control zone next Tuesday. I still haven't fully decided if I'm going 🥺. I think the scale is tipping to yes though. I have been overly cautious with my coop and although nothing is a guarantee, I have faith in my abilities to do what I can to try to minimize the risk. Now-that all goes out the window if all hell breaks loose in the next few days-or there's an outbreak at the hatchery.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:55 am

Hi @Happy ! Did you wind up picking up your chicks?
The hatchery we have our order with has stepped up their biosecurity, and has scheduled 15 minute timeslot interval pickup times so that there will be minimal interaction with other customers in the curbside pickup area. Our pick-up time is confirmed for this Sunday afternoon. We have foot baths outside our bird enclosures, dedicated poultry enclosure footwear, and the chicks will quarantined in a brooder in the garage for a few weeks anyway, so I think it will be okay to go ahead with our road trip. This will be the last time we add chickens to our flock.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:02 pm

@Jaye that sounds good!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy

Post by Happy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:52 am

Jaye wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:55 am
Hi @Happy ! Did you wind up picking up your chicks?
The hatchery we have our order with has stepped up their biosecurity, and has scheduled 15 minute timeslot interval pickup times so that there will be minimal interaction with other customers in the curbside pickup area. Our pick-up time is confirmed for this Sunday afternoon. We have foot baths outside our bird enclosures, dedicated poultry enclosure footwear, and the chicks will quarantined in a brooder in the garage for a few weeks anyway, so I think it will be okay to go ahead with our road trip. This will be the last time we add chickens to our flock.
Yes I picked up my chicks. They will be in the house for a month and I have the same precautions in place that you described. In the end I decided that all I can do is the best I can do and the rest is up to luck.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:58 am

Happy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:52 am
Yes I picked up my chicks.
What kind of chicks did you get?
Happy wrote:
In the end I decided that all I can do is the best I can do and the rest is up to luck.
I agree - do our best and hope for the best. :-).

Happy

Post by Happy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:56 am

Jaye wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:58 am
Happy wrote:
Yes I picked up my chicks.
What kind of chicks did you get?
Happy wrote:
In the end I decided that all I can do is the best I can do and the rest is up to luck.
I agree - do our best and hope for the best. :-).
PXL_20220430_004857558.jpg
6 already spoiled little Barred Rock girls.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:53 pm

The chicks are sooooo cute!!
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Return to “Event Discussion (Sales and Shows)”