Cdn Ornamental pheasant & g bird sale

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:54 am

If it is on Easter weekend, does that put it in conflict with the effort at Hagersville? I've never been to that special sale at Hagersville, but others that do go say it is overwhelmingly packed. I always try to get to COPGA sale. Great quality of stock, well organized and definitely better seating.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:59 am

Hagersville is LOADED!! It's crazy to try and get in there on those specialty sales but I love it. That's where I'll be.

coonhound
On the Roost

Post by coonhound » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:36 pm

u dont need a license to keep lady amherest only for ring neck pheasants. mupicipal license for hunting pheasants? not to keep them

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Are there no chickens at this sale funnyfarmerz?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Haha does anybody know what yu got & where yu are way back there Kathy ? Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Cdn Ornamental pheasant & g bird sale

Post by WLLady » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:03 pm

I need a permit because its considered "exotic" in elgin county....because some guy got eaten by his tiger on the next concession south of me....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:08 pm

A license is required for birds that are hunted as game birds in Ontario. This is a provincial license and covers bobwhite quail, hungarian partridge and ringneck pheasants (and other game birds you are unlikely to find in the hobby such as ruffed or spruce grouse). The license is $15 and is not online so you have to go to an MNR office to obtain it. The last few years I had ringnecks purchased from a hatchery (and they were processed at an abbatoir) without a license and no one asked for it. A different license is required to raise game birds and release them. No license to raise birds needed in quebec.
Golden pheasants, lady amherst and other pheasants and quails or partridges (chukar) are not hunted in Ontario so no license required.

A different federal license is required for migratory waterfowl (i.e. Wood ducks) and this is tracked rigourously including tracking purchases and sales and inspections are common with BIG fines imposed for violations.

Endangered species (and many birds are endangered in their homelands) I don't have info on that and I know many people with pheasants of all kinds. I know many have tried importing birds (i.e. Tragopans) to improve bloodlines of captive bred birds but a huge hassle.

You can have a tiger in your backyard without a license and they are endangered so I wouldn't worry about these birds.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:14 pm

There is another poultry club that has an auction in Paris but its a different club and on a different date.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:27 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST I need a permit because its considered "exotic" in elgin county....because some guy got eaten by his tiger on the next concession south of me....
Yep I've read your municipal laws . Coming to a municipality near you . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Kenya,
There can be chickens at the COPG sale, but not many. They do tend to be the more different breeds. Last year there were Welsummers, Barnvelders, Ameurecanas (ignore my lousy spelling).

Return to “Event Discussion (Sales and Shows)”