Eastern bird breeders Sping sale

Cliff
On the Roost

Post by Cliff » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:20 am

The sale at Vernon had a large turn out with a variety of birds . As always john joint did a bang up job john will be in Alfred this Saturday I hope to see a large turn out at Alfred have a super spring .........
Attachments
DSCF2667.JPG
May the god lord take a liking to you...

egg-centric
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by egg-centric » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

Hi, will be at Alfred, but I think it is John who is one of the many auctioneers who need to step up their game. His helper will read what is on the tag and tell the auctioneer, and then the auctioneer, who has the mike, will only repeat half of it. It is so annoying and unprofessional. Example: Helper: 2 Ameraucana hens, 2 years-old, laying regularly; Auctioneer: Amercauna hens. Since it is usually crowded, no one in the back can hear the extra explanation, and if you are buying the birds on a whim, which people do since sometimes it is IMPOSSIBLE to see into the boxes with the number of people milling about, then you end up with old hens and you have just bid on something you do not want ... I understand that you are taking a chance at an auction, but if the info is on the darn box and the helper can read it but the auctioneer doesn't bother, then that is just laziness and unfair to anyone bidding.

Just my two cents.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 am

Something to keep in mind, John Joynt is a knowledgeable poultry man, and if you listen to what he repeats, it's usually just the pertinent information he can actually check while looking at the bird.
So while he can tell if the bird is more or less Ameraucana, he certainly couldn't tell if the bird is 2 or 10 years old and actually laying.
I used to belong to the club and attend all the auctions and worked at some of them, and I remember reading some of the labels stating a breed that they obviously weren't, and John Joint would say " a white hen" and skip the breed on the label.
So although you may feel you are getting less info, you may actually be getting more ;)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:39 pm

I would absolutely completely urgently strongly recommend that you always look inside the box before you bid. What if the person writes 3 hens when it's 3 young roosters (which I have seen), if they read the tag you are no farther ahead. I worry about the day when John Joynt retires, I know it's going to be a good sale when I see that man running it and that's from years of going to sales. Not to be picking an argument but the " buyer beware part" is completely the buyer's effort. Sadly egg-centric there are people out there that just seem to thrive on pulling tricks and think they are getting away with something by cheating us out of a few dollars, don't let them spoil your day at a sale by trusting the tag.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Cliff wrote:QR_BBPOST The sale at Vernon had a large turn out with a variety of birds . As always john joint did a bang up job john will be in Alfred this Saturday I hope to see a large turn out at Alfred have a super spring .........

Did you buy any pigeons Cliff? Lol

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks. Good info to know regarding auctions.

egg-centric
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by egg-centric » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 am

I diasgree. I perhaps gave a poor example. I will try to get a better one from the sale today at Alfred. But, if someone takes the time to write something on the tag, and they have their full name and number on the tag, why would it not be credible? They are standing by their product and want people to know information.

I agree that it is buyer beware, but the buyer should be allowed all information, as well.

Cliff
On the Roost

Post by Cliff » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:07 pm

EDITED BY THE ADMIN

before this goes south....

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on this forum. Please remember that this is a forum, where emotions are difficult to judge in written typeface. Please take this into account before you label someone as insulting or a post as insulting. And more importantly, please everyone try to keep the comments constructive and giving something to the conversation. We have a friendly forum here, and we would like to keep it this way.

It is important to remember that all people are different, and all sales and all things for sale should be thoroughly investigated prior to putting money down if the buyer wants to avoid any and all disappointment, and that buyers at sales take inherent risks with any purchase through a sale or auction.

thank you in advance for keeping this topic civil and uncombative.
Your admin,
WLLady

Cliff
On the Roost

Post by Cliff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:42 pm

yes I will try to keep that in mind I think my freedom of speech was taking away from me oh what the hell this is Canada..

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Cliff your last post gave nothing to the conversation except to be combative. We do not foster this on the forum, so i stepped in. Please try to keep your comments constructive. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing but trying to elicit a fight will not be tolerated.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Event Discussion (Sales and Shows)”