Vernon EBBA sale Saturday

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST Lol, it's going to look bad for the sale if the audience is full but the tables are bare! Oh well at least I could get some of the home made pie they sell there.
Always that way, spring more buyers, fall more sellers trying to get rid of excess birds before winter.
It's the old buyer be aware, there are some really good birds to be had and some just being dumped.
Knowledge is power!!! :)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:55 am

For anyone new going to the sale, as what Baronrenfrew was saying, you never know how a auction will go. The spring sale is usually over by 2:30; however lol, for some bizarre reason every few years it can run until almost six. Same with sometimes a really good bird comes up and everyone thinks that the "other" guy is going to buy resulting in a good bird going cheap, then everyone feels bad for missing the chance and a lesser bird goes higher.

As with the Alfred sale, spring is usually a smaller sale but nearly went until 8:00p.m. last spring; however I think the fall sale was over by 3:00p.m. which should have been longer, lol like until ten at night! I wonder if that ever happened somewhere? I was thinking about going later to the Alfred sale, that way if it runs late I might get some good deals and that would make the cheapskate in me happy lol.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 am

Well just sitting in car warming it up. Just leaving the auction.

I arrived at 9:30 to a full house lots of birds and lots of people. I was out by 10:15.

Seems to be some good birds. The only thing that caught my interest was some black east indies ducks, but I have 4 or order plus I figured I did not want to miss raiding them from day olds.

The auction is well run. I wish they made the seller actually fill out the sale slip on the box.... seller's name, location and phone number, probably half were blank. One person had mailing labels see stuck on the slip and a couple people had business cards taped on the boxes, which was awesome.

I am not a big fan of the 2 week old chicks sitting in a box all day, even with a heat pack, they looked good though.

No mention or signs, warnings about ILT, everything the same as in the past.

In the end I did make a purchase at the auction (plus I had a birds I picked up outside the auction). Here is my impulse buy I bought inside at the auction....
20170318_101745.jpg
Heading home... I parked on the side of the road and sprayed my boots with virkon before I got back in my vehicle. A couple people walking by looked at me strangely. Lol

Will stop at the feed store and the way home and then spray boots again and spray tires in my driveway.

Hope some other people got some good buys or made some good sales.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am

Cheers to you Jim! You showed up and bought something! (If I go I take a quick tour and decide what I like: then I figure 4 lots per hour and I go for breakfast or lunch and come back ahead of The time I need to be there for the lot/box i am interested in.) Otherwise I am unable to sit at an auction for 9 hours.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I didn't sleep well last night so over tired this morning, then nearly -20 here so lost interest in going. I was thinking I might end up buying something and it's still cold and chores would be a pain blah blah blah, plus Alfred is next week so I didn't go. Then comes the part I really hate, now all I can think of is "why didn't I go, why didn't I go". I hate myself lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST Then comes the part I really hate, now all I can think of is "why didn't I go, why didn't I go". I hate myself lol.
:) the non-buyer's remorse !

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST I didn't sleep well last night so over tired this morning, then nearly -20 here so lost interest in going. I was thinking I might end up buying something and it's still cold and chores would be a pain blah blah blah, plus Alfred is next week so I didn't go. Then comes the part I really hate, now all I can think of is "why didn't I go, why didn't I go". I hate myself lol.
I was not paying much attention to the prices while I was there, but I heard prices were high due to number of bidders, so just think of the money you saved.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

egg-centric
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by egg-centric » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:45 pm

I was also kicking myself for not going, but then was happy to hear that the prices were high! At least with Alfred, if you stick it out long enough, you can get some good deals. I also hate when the auctions do not enforce the proper names/phone numbers on the boxes.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:24 pm

egg-centric wrote:QR_BBPOST I was also kicking myself for not going, but then was happy to hear that the prices were high! At least with Alfred, if you stick it out long enough, you can get some good deals. I also hate when the auctions do not enforce the proper names/phone numbers on the boxes.
Yes especially with the ILT going on, I heard they were not accepting birds for sale from people in the 10 km alert zone in Lanark county, but no way to know when half the tags and no location and some not even a name. Maybe that is common practice but I think this day and age should be enforced a bit more.

I have only bought a couple things in the past at an auction, and I never bid on anything that has not seller info. I know it takes time to fill out the info, but not that much time.

I talked to someone else who was selling and they were satisfied with the prices they got, but they said a lot of things actually went cheap for a spring auction.
Black & Blue Poultry

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 am

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST
egg-centric wrote:QR_BBPOST I was also kicking myself for not going, but then was happy to hear that the prices were high! At least with Alfred, if you stick it out long enough, you can get some good deals. I also hate when the auctions do not enforce the proper names/phone numbers on the boxes.
Yes especially with the ILT going on, I heard they were not accepting birds for sale from people in the 10 km alert zone in Lanark county, but no way to know when half the tags and no location and some not even a name. Maybe that is common practice but I think this day and age should be enforced a bit more.

I have only bought a couple things in the past at an auction, and I never bid on anything that has not seller info. I know it takes time to fill out the info, but not that much time.

I talked to someone else who was selling and they were satisfied with the prices they got, but they said a lot of things actually went cheap for a spring auction.
Jim, if they were not accepting people within the zone, they "the club" would know because they assign the lot number and they need to know who you are address etc to make sure you are part of the club. So the tag not being filled out would not hide the owner from the club, otherwise how would they know who to give the money to. They may have been told not to accept people from that area.

As far as prices, that is one of the odd things about the Vernon sale, I have often seen really good birds go low one minute then high the next with no reason, I feel bad for the seller. Of course in the past every friggin bird I wanted always went like the stupid thing put out golden eggs or something lol, so you're right, I saved money hahaha!

Return to “Event Discussion (Sales and Shows)”