Royal winter fair

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Royal winter fair

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 pm

So I emailed the fair people, pointing out their errors was not worthy of free tickets :-(

The poultry judging and show is the Sunday morn and here's the schedule.

http://www.royalfair.org/assets/schedul ... e_2016.pdf
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Royal winter fair

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks Bert. AT a glance I looked at the Market kid show and got totally the wrong idea!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Royal winter fair

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks @baronrenfrew. I have updated our event entry. Not sure if this made it any better. Now it starts 8 or 9am depending on which document you are looking at.

Best I can suggest, be there early and expect to spend the day....
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Royal winter fair

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Bump
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Wendyleigh Poultry
Newly Hatched Chick

Royal winter fair

Post by Wendyleigh Poultry » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:16 am

Anyone from here showing at the Royal this year?

kortispoultry
On the Roost

Royal winter fair

Post by kortispoultry » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:49 am

The Royal used to be one of the most prestigious shows for Poultry and Waterfowl when the Poultry exhibits were there for the duration of the whole Fair in my humble opinion, but when they went to the two and now one day show only format, it ruined it for me and a ton of other fanciers and I let the Royal board of directors know it! The quality of some of the exhibits and the numbers, have dwindled down to a mere smidgen of what it used to be! As I expressed to the board of directors a number of years ago, I felt that they were more interested into turning the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair into a giant flea market instead of promoting agriculture to the best of their ability. Again, in my humble opinion, the Royal should be all about agriculture and educating and showing visitors the best of the excellent live stock we have and crops we produce! Many visitors, especially children, do not have a clue of where the eggs, milk, pork or lamb chops, steaks, etc., etc., come from believe it or not. The Royal doesn't hold a candle to the OPB show when it comes to quality and excellence in our Poultry hobby! Maybe I am just turning into a miserable old bugger, but I sure remember and can't forget the great times we had at the RWF's of the past. Pete.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Royal winter fair

Post by Brebis » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Pete, I second your comments on the Royal. I've shown cattle, rabbits and cheese there since a kid in the '70's and it's a been going downhill for the last 10 or so. I used to love going but rarely do anymore.
Hope they listen to your advice and that of many others who participate with such heart.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Royal winter fair

Post by ross » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 am

Pics on FB by John Koop at Royal today . Says decent turnout but don't know what that means .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Royal winter fair

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm

I was so impressed at the OPB show. It was a great experience. I went to the Royal some 25 years ago and enjoyed it then went back 5? years ago. haven't been since. I think you're right Mr Pete but perhaps I'm a miserable old bugger too!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JBeard
Newly Hatched Chick

Royal winter fair

Post by JBeard » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:59 pm

I agree Pete. Having shown cattle there and been in the rodeo years back. It is the best of Ontario competition. It's a shame how the poultry show has come to this. The OPB is the go to how. I'm not sure if its politics or the directors that ruined this one. But I see none of the top breeders really go for the most part.shame

Return to “Event Discussion (Sales and Shows)”