Show Report Report, lol.

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Poultry report, lol.

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 pm

Well the Picton fair is Sept 9-11th and has a judged poultry and waterfowl section.

http://www.pictonfair.org/wp-content/up ... r_book.pdf

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Poultry report, lol.

Post by poultry_admin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:23 am

We are getting quite a collection of fairs/shows/auctions together:

http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... m.php?f=78

Please don't hold back posting about the ones you know and I will move/edit/do whatever to get them into the list.

Ever wonder what events are near you? => Have a look in the "User Map" (in the quick links or the top menu) and look for yellow diamonds near you. Not all events are there yet, but they are coming.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Poultry report, lol.

Post by Silkie Sue » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:50 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST Omg, thank you Jeff. Anyone know what the weight is on that white crested blue Polish?
these girls are on the large size of Polish weight scale at about 5 lbs is average from that breeding pen

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Poultry report, lol.

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 pm

The Shawville fair is also on this weekend and it does have a poultry show.
Last edited by Skinny rooster on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Poultry report, lol.

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Ok another one coming this weekend! Spencerville fair is on this weekend. I was there a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. The women helping to run it told me that they were down in number of birds that year but it didn't matter to me, I thought there was a good number and variety of birds and rabbits there. A lot of good quality as well, that area in general seems to be pro chicken lol. I want to also mention that the fair was one of those big little fairs, small enough to take the family and not worry about getting lost in the crowd but big enough to have lots of things to see and do. I really enjoyed it and it's now on my favorite fall fairs list.

WGR Poultry
Newly Hatched Chick

Poultry report, lol.

Post by WGR Poultry » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST The Shawville fair is also on this weekend and it does have a poultry show but...... the judge is not usually a true poultry judge, if that's the proper way to say it. As far as the quality of birds it can be a hit or miss depending year to year, hmmm how would I say this, how about just because the leghorns have feathers on their legs, the Wyandotts have single combs or the silkies can fly, doesn't mean they don't love their birds as much as we love ours. The fair is a good fair with lots to see and do however. Uhh, I hope this doesn't sound mean or judgy, just trying to hint to the poultry people about what to expect.
Dear Sir:
While I think that I may understand the sentiment of your post, you should probably be a little more cautious when making reference to people or events, since in this case you have pointed out that the judge is not a "true poultry judge," which in my mind means that you are implying that this individual is not knowledgeable about poultry (and yes, I know that you used the word "usually" to couch this remark). In this case I ended up taking this assignment, which means that you have levelled a criticism at my ability to assess exhibition poultry. I doubt that this was your intent, and because of this I am not really cross or upset, but I can imagine a discussion with someone who might not know me, and hearing that I was the guy who judged at the Shawville Fair, he or she may think ill of my capabilities based on your comments above. Please think before you write.

As for the quality of the birds at this fair, you are correct that it is a "hit and miss" sort of an event. This year, the Champion Large Fowl was a pretty decent Silver Grey Dorking hen, and the Champion Bantam was a nice Black Cochin hen. Either of these birds would stand up in a high calibre show. At the other end of the spectrum, a few of the birds were simply pets, and at this you commented that the owners in all likelihood "love their birds as much as we love ours." This was a pretty nice way to end the piece.
Sincerely,
Grady Robson

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Poultry report, lol.

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Well I'd like to welcome you to the forum and for your clarification. It's always great for us to have new people who can participate here from different areas.
Hope you stay and enjoy the forum.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Poultry report, lol.

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:54 pm

WGR Poultry wrote:QR_BBPOST
Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST The Shawville fair is also on this weekend and it does have a poultry show but...... the judge is not usually a true poultry judge, if that's the proper way to say it. As far as the quality of birds it can be a hit or miss depending year to year, hmmm how would I say this, how about just because the leghorns have feathers on their legs, the Wyandotts have single combs or the silkies can fly, doesn't mean they don't love their birds as much as we love ours. The fair is a good fair with lots to see and do however. Uhh, I hope this doesn't sound mean or judgy, just trying to hint to the poultry people about what to expect.
Dear Sir:
While I think that I may understand the sentiment of your post, you should probably be a little more cautious when making reference to people or events, since in this case you have pointed out that the judge is not a "true poultry judge," which in my mind means that you are implying that this individual is not knowledgeable about poultry (and yes, I know that you used the word "usually" to couch this remark). In this case I ended up taking this assignment, which means that you have levelled a criticism at my ability to assess exhibition poultry. I doubt that this was your intent, and because of this I am not really cross or upset, but I can imagine a discussion with someone who might not know me, and hearing that I was the guy who judged at the Shawville Fair, he or she may think ill of my capabilities based on your comments above. Please think before you write.

As for the quality of the birds at this fair, you are correct that it is a "hit and miss" sort of an event. This year, the Champion Large Fowl was a pretty decent Silver Grey Dorking hen, and the Champion Bantam was a nice Black Cochin hen. Either of these birds would stand up in a high calibre show. At the other end of the spectrum, a few of the birds were simply pets, and at this you commented that the owners in all likelihood "love their birds as much as we love ours." This was a pretty nice way to end the piece.
Sincerely,
Grady Robson
Thanks Grady!!
First, for taking the time to judge at the Shawville fair and then also to post here! That is much appreciated! And welcome to PTO. We hope to hear more from you in the future.

We struggled with the fact that skinny rooster posted these negative comments the Friday before the fair and painted this year's fair with the disappointment that was felt from past fairs. This forum is NOT the appropriate place for such a general negative judgment. The better recipient would have been the fair's organizers at that time.

Thanks everyone for keeping this forum friendly!!
Your admin crew
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Poultry report, lol.

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:49 am

My sincerest apologies to Mr. Grady Robson if he felt I was criticizing his ability as a judge. Show judging is completely out of my realm, so it was absolutely the furthest thing from my intention. These posts are like an opinion piece in a news paper so please don't give it anymore weight or credibility than it actually has. These posts are only my thoughts and is not affiliated with this site in any way.

My intention was to only let people know which fairs have a poultry show. I am actually the type of person who gets annoyed when people criticize a judge as I admire the people who put themselves out there, I am sure it's not easy and I would never want to do it. My wording was incorrect, please don't be offended.

The people on this site however are different from the average person attending a fair. Many have the S.O.P and pour over it worried if their birds measure up. I didn't feel comfortable just saying that there was a show there without saying it's a different type of show, having people expecting one thing and being furious with me if it wasn't what they were looking for. Neither was this a criticism of the people running the show, if for some reason people are unable to exhibit some years, it's not the organizers fault. I know they are doing the best they can, nor was it a criticism of the people who bring pet quality birds, I thank them for taking the time.

Admin, if you "struggled" with this post and felt it was too negative for the site, why did you not contact me? I would have gladly altered or deleted it. I am fairly easy going, I am not here to make things difficult. Sorry if I caused you stress, maybe I don't tell you guys enough what a great job you are doing. That is why I put the "lol" in the title, don't take me too seriously.

Return to “Event Discussion (Sales and Shows)”