permits for pheasants?

birdwhisperer
Newly Hatched Chick

permits for pheasants?

Post by birdwhisperer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 pm

I'm trying to find info about when/if I need a permit to raise pheasants. Is it only Ringnecks that need a permit? I'm not releasing any.

Best Answer by Canard » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:29 pm
A Licence to Keep Game Birds in Captivity is issued on a calendar year basis at costs $20.80. You have to identify the species you wish to keep on the licence at the time of applying. There is an end of season report that you need to submit. You must keep track of the birds/eggs you buy, hatch and sell. You have to provide specific invoicing to the purchaser of your birds. As mentioned above, call you local MNRF office for details. You should not be able to by ring-neck pheasants from a hatchery without these documents. I'm sure the fines of raising them without the proper documents are far greater than the $20.80. If you get pheasants, get lots of pictures.

GO TO FULL POST ➙

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

permits for pheasants?

Post by JimW » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Yes you only need a permit to keep Ringneck Pheasants, since they are considered "native" gamebirds, since they have been released and established in the wild in parts of Ontario. Other species of pheasants you do not need a permit. You also need a Keeping Gamebirds in Captivity of Northern Bobwhite quail, hungarian partridge and wild turkeys. Contact your local MNRF office to get the permit application, I don't think the application is available online.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

permits for pheasants?

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 am

A license is required for birds that are hunted as game birds in Ontario. This is a provincial license and covers bobwhite quail, hungarian partridge and ringneck pheasants (and other game birds you are unlikely to find in the hobby such as ruffed or spruce grouse). The license is $15 and is not online so you have to go to an MNR office to obtain it. The last few years I had ringnecks purchased from a hatchery (and they were processed at an abbatoir) without a license and no one asked for it. A different license is required to raise game birds and release them. No license to raise birds needed in quebec.
Golden pheasants, lady amherst and other pheasants and quails or partridges (chukar) are not hunted in Ontario so no license required.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Canard
Newly Hatched Chick
Answers: 1

permits for pheasants?

Post by Canard » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:29 pm

A Licence to Keep Game Birds in Captivity is issued on a calendar year basis at costs $20.80. You have to identify the species you wish to keep on the licence at the time of applying. There is an end of season report that you need to submit. You must keep track of the birds/eggs you buy, hatch and sell. You have to provide specific invoicing to the purchaser of your birds. As mentioned above, call you local MNRF office for details. You should not be able to by ring-neck pheasants from a hatchery without these documents. I'm sure the fines of raising them without the proper documents are far greater than the $20.80. If you get pheasants, get lots of pictures.

Return to “Gamebird Discussion”