Question Cooking quail

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Cooking quail

Post by Blizblaz » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:36 am

I’ve butchered quail a few times now, and when I cook them up, I find the meat pretty tough. Maybe that’s just the way it is?
Does anyone have advice? Maybe I’m butchering them too late and they get stringy as they get older? Does anyone know if this would make a difference?
So, for those of you that have done it, what are your best methods to get the best out of your quail?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Cooking quail

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:51 am

Ask @Jaye she has quail.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:30 am

Do you age them before cooking ?

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:33 pm

I sit them in the fridge for a day or so before cooking or freezing.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:55 am

WARNING I'M À BAAAAD CHEF:.. Walk Away Quail Stew? I boil beef any cut, the cheaper the better, for hours and hours and it tastes great IMO 🤣. I would think that anything BBQ basted with maple syrup tastes good. If it's overcooked then I call it beef jerky but it still tastes good. FYI I'm part Lab. I say part because our Lab eats poopsicles poop and I do not 🤢🤢🤢
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:01 am

Blizblaz wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:33 pm
I sit them in the fridge for a day or so before cooking or freezing.
I would give them 2 or 3 days before freezing, 3-4 before cooking fresh, it will not hurt them and it may make a difference.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:06 pm

Yes, what @Ontario Chick said ... I leave ours in the fridge in brine for a few days, then marinate and cook or freeze for later. We keep ours primarily for eggs. All of our quail for meat consumption are male grow-outs, although if we have issues with mean birds that are a bit older, they have wound up in freezer camp as well. The age of the quail shouldn't make a big difference, but the older ones (1 year+) may be a little bit tougher. We don't notice an appreciable difference, though, especially if you brine and/or marinate them. Is it possible that the texture is something that you're not used to? Quail meat is very lean (and very filling), so is it possible that you are expecting a more fatty textured meat?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:31 am

I figured that was maybe just how they we’re supposed to be. It’s not terrible or anything, just trying to see if there’s something else I could be doing. I do get lazy and end up butchering way later than planned, and it’s mostly just my extra males, too.
I keep them for cuteness factor, and eggs.
I’ll try the brining next time and age them more. I also feel I might be guilty of cooking them too long!

Return to “Gamebird Discussion”