Keeping quail

Post by ross » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Trade one a wdstk maybe . Cu
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Keeping quail

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:15 pm

Lots of coturnix for sale on Kijiji. Typical price is $5 each. If on lights they will lay for a year then set up for the stewpot.
WWW, flushing birds have a short life span, 3 years max. The fast heart rate needed for a flushing bird ensures a short life (same as rabbits).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Keeping quail

Post by kenya » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Well I think I may have 4 males, 3 have crowed, do the females ever crow? Wishful thinking I know.
Ross I would have taken them but I guess I'm hoping I'm wrong. The 2 I thought were females are very quiet and calm and I really like that so I keep hoping . My husband says I can always keep them in separate pens like they do Siamese fighting fish, smart ass!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Keeping quail

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:15 am

With a "wild" colour quail you can sex by feather colour if not you can do vent sexing. http://www.quailfarm.co.uk/index.php/qu ... -or-female

Wild colour quail: the chest of the hen is beige with speckled brown feathers (almost like a vanilla ice cream or off-white colour) , where the male has a caramel brown chest.

Also the world is full of folks who will sell a group of males as they don't care to "process" them. Thankfully they are cheap so if you made that mistake (or where shafted by the seller) you likely spent more in gas to get them than you spent to buy them.

I was at a spring auction in Quebec a few years ago, and there were two boxes at the auction of "wild type" colour quail, 5 in each box, all males. I stood around and told a few folks that the box was all males, and that you could order straight run birds (month old, so near maturity) at your local feed store for a box of 10 birds $20. The chick suppliers to the feed stores in Quebec also sold quail.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Keeping quail

Post by thegawd » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 am

I keep quail in rabbit hutches on half inch welded wire or better. I feed the adults Purina Gambird Layena and Purina Gamebird Startena to chicks. fresh water n thats it. they do perfectly fine in our winters outside but if you want them to lay an egg everyday of the year, which they will, they need to be under 14+ hours of light per day. I've made my set ups as automated as possible with large feeders and auto poultry water cups. the cups wont work in the winter so I just use 6" round ruber dishes and fill them once a day.

the key to growing up these James Marie Farms Jumbos to there maximum size is simple. grind up or sift out the finer particles and feed that for the first week, I use a picknic bug mesh cover but a blender would work very well, I need one. give them lots of heat, a bit hotter n longer than one would for chickens and 24 hours of light. after 7-8 weeks I just put them in grow out pens, maybe sooner if the weather is really hot out. and of course fresh water at all times. doing this will grow a JMF Jumbo to a pound or more. not following this routine can permanently stunt the bird but wont hurt the genetics so there offspring wil still carry the potential to grow to the maximum size.

I love these birds and they are only a fraction of the care involved with chickens. I got into the poultry world with quail, I still lived in the city and most bylaws dont mention quail so they are allowed.

:beer2:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny

Keeping quail

Post by kenya » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:56 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST I keep quail in rabbit hutches on half inch welded wire or better. I feed the adults Purina Gambird Layena and Purina Gamebird Startena to chicks. fresh water n thats it. they do perfectly fine in our winters outside but if you want them to lay an egg everyday of the year, which they will, they need to be under 14+ hours of light per day. I've made my set ups as automated as possible with large feeders and auto poultry water cups. the cups wont work in the winter so I just use 6" round ruber dishes and fill them once a day.

the key to growing up these James Marie Farms Jumbos to there maximum size is simple. grind up or sift out the finer particles and feed that for the first week, I use a picknic bug mesh cover but a blender would work very well, I need one. give them lots of heat, a bit hotter n longer than one would for chickens and 24 hours of light. after 7-8 weeks I just put them in grow out pens, maybe sooner if the weather is really hot out. and of course fresh water at all times. doing this will grow a JMF Jumbo to a pound or more. not following this routine can permanently stunt the bird but wont hurt the genetics so there offspring wil still carry the potential to grow to the maximum size.

I love these birds and they are only a fraction of the care involved with chickens. I got into the poultry world with quail, I still lived in the city and most bylaws dont mention quail so they are allowed.

:beer2:
What colours do you have? Did you get some eggs from Perry S. I Seem to remember you ordering some eggs.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Keeping quail

Post by thegawd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes I did get eggs from Perry a year n a half ago or so before we moved here. I have the JMF Jumbos and they are just regular wild color. about a month ago I got a bunch of birds off of Clawton from eggs he hatched from Perry. that lot included some Texas A&Ms an all white with a brown dot on there head, they are also an all white meat bird rather than dark. interesting eh? some more JMF jumbos and a couple goldens which I think Perry was working on breeding up to the jumbo size.

I prefer the wild type color because I can sex them as soon as they are mature just by looking at them. males have a solid rusty colored chest while hens have a brown n tan speckled pattern.

these cute little birds can be brutal to each other. I have one picking on the others in one of my pens and I haven't been able to figure it out. both sexes can be very aggresive and territorial. Im guna have to sit out there and watch them for a while to catch the perpetrator, I think its a hen.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Keeping quail

Post by ross » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:26 pm

I had a dozen mixed bobwhite quail once in a dirt bottom ring neck pheasant pen , With a trio of ring necks . Once the quail matured they became a gang of thugs . They'd circle the pheasants male or female & chase um all around a 16/32ft pen in & out of trees etc & attack . Bad little burgers . I ate um . :turkeycook:
Now I just buy young , raise um in a wire rabbit type pen till grown then freezer . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

kenya
Henny Penny

Keeping quail

Post by kenya » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Well I sold 3 boys, kept one. Bought 4 girls, at least the guy I bought them from says he thinks they are girls. My male sure thinks so, randy boy, we are calling him Howard. The girls are Penny, Amy, Bernadette and Pria.

Thanks baronrenrew for the tip of some for sale on kijiji, the man has lots of different birds, very nice guy. The darkest one in the picture is Howard.
IMG_20161030_104200.jpg

kenya
Henny Penny

Keeping quail

Post by kenya » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:02 am

Well I'm excited I finally got my first quail egg!! Yahoooo!
IMG_20161123_094722.jpg

Return to “Gamebird Discussion”