What colour am i??

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

What colour am i??

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Okay..i need more turkey advice.....is she bronze? Black wing bronze or tiger bronze??
And is he a red slate or a lavender?
Yep they have been a breeding pair. The kid martin is holding in his hand in the good morning thread is from them. All the poults are striped black or grey on yellow. Thanks in advance...been playing with the turkey calculator and trying to wait for kids to grow up...lol
20160419_184209.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

What colour am i??

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:50 am

It's funny you say that. Visitors often say "wouldn't it be great if they stayed like fuzzies forever". To me a huge part of the thrill is seeing them grow and develop and with chickens, what colour is the mutt this time?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

What colour am i??

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 am

Totally agree KB. I'm just not sure i can house 31 (eeek....yes, 31-amazing what happens when the incubating conditions are correct LOL) poults until they are all feathered out and adult colour...i better get that one coop emptied and the other cleaned out so i have somewhere to put them all!
i like the fuzzybutts, but i also like "playing" in the genetics (as you know already i'm sure!)....so adult colouring is important. sigh. sucker for punishment i am. i will need to sell some of the kids, regardless but the wyoming sale isn't for another month....so hope they hurry up and feather in! LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Epona
Starting to Crow

What colour am i??

Post by Epona » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Thinking red bronze. She must look quite striking with the sun on her. The red would show well then, if she is a red bronze. Those tail feathers on the tom look more lavender but otherwise I'd guess rusty slate. Have fun!

WLLady

What colour am i??

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks Epona!!
All their kids are yellow with various black and reddish lines on them....and certainly at least one of their kids is going to be a red slate...which is totally possible if she's a red bronze and he's a red slate or a red lavender...and i'm pretty sure a couple of them are going to be bronze or black winged bronze from the looks of how dark they are already on the wings and shoulders.
i have another 7 or 8 poults from them in varying stages of feathering in, so i'll keep track of those too. at least running all the possibilities through porter's calculator gives me basically the parents type back again...both boys and girls.

Epona
Starting to Crow

What colour am i??

Post by Epona » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Porter's calculator is awesome. Cant't believe how dead on the percentages in my hatches last year were replicated in the calculator. Don't know what I did before it came along. Hoping to focus on size development this year in my crew.

Also seriously hoping that my one Sweetgrass Jenny survives the summer and lays well. She certainly is interested, but not broody yet. I am trying to find a Ridley bronze Jenny for the Sweetgrass tom to get a darker chocolate brown in the off spring that will be Sweetgrass. My red bronze Jenny produces few Sweetgrass without the depth of colour I'm looking for. Lots of fun!

You are way ahead of me in hatches. I only do natural, so patiently waiting for a turkey or chicken hen to go broody so I can get some turkey eggs cracking! LOL

WLLady

What colour am i??

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:33 pm

Some kids are feathering is with lots of red and brown showing up....curious to see how they end up. They were yellow chicks without stripes lol.

Return to “Gamebird Discussion”