When will she lay?

Armourhillfarm
Newly Hatched Chick

When will she lay?

Post by Armourhillfarm » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:15 pm

I bought 5 young Turkey poults last summer that were red pencilled palms and of course 4 were males and 1 female. Three of the guys ended up in a pot and I kept my pair to breed.
They were hatched May 31, 2015 and I have yet to get an egg! :big chicken: There is breeding going on now with feathers from one end of the enclosure to the other so I know he is trying.

Is this common to wait this long for her to start to lay?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

When will she lay?

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Yep! If she is breeding it will be soon. They are seasonal layers...spring and maybe again in fall. She is smart-mine have been laying since january....theyre starting to sit now...we will be done laying about next week i think. Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

When will she lay?

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:54 am

Mine started a month ago so patience! They're Beltsvillles so are supposed to mature a little earlier than some breeds. June hatch. The 2 year olds started at the same time.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Armourhillfarm
Newly Hatched Chick

When will she lay?

Post by Armourhillfarm » Mon May 02, 2016 8:06 pm

After a forever wait and noticing our girl hanging around a big old log pile, I found our first turkey egg. Not sure how old it is or if she is smart enough to lay eggs in one place so I tossed it in the bator.
Now I will have to hunt around and see if there is anymore hidden somewhere.

Lets hope this one is fertile.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

When will she lay?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed May 04, 2016 1:57 am

Use a rake if she's laying outdoors free-range, lol-- sometimes they will bury their eggs with hay, leaves, even dirt. They will lay under bushes, at the base of trees, in the middle of a field of tall grass, near anything that provides some overhead cover. If you take all eggs out of a nest, she will pick a new spot and you'll start all over again. They are patient and tricky, and if you try to follow her to find out where she's going, she will know, throw you off her trail and then disappear LOL.

Return to “Gamebird Discussion”