Calf hutch and a few ducks

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Do ducks even want to go into coops at night?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:44 pm

at the old place none of my call ducks would use a coop. I once found the white calls quacking away but couldnt find them... they started shaking n flapping their wings and poofed right out from underneath the snow. go figure LOL. it wasnt until they were locked into the coop during the ai outbreak that any of my calls started using the coop once let out after... but they still seldom used it.

same with the geese... they had a topper for shelter but almost never used it.

Here at the new place, I only have a trio of calls and a trio of geese and they were all locked up in the coop with the chickens for about 6 weeks. ever since I finished the pen and let them out both the ducks and the geese sleep in the coop at night.

So I would think yes they will use the coop if they grow up with one or locked in one for about a month if they never used one beforehand.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Sandy's ducks from last Summer live at my place now. She kept them in a coop at night so they were raised to go in. I still have to chase them every night and it's a fight to lock them up. If they can sneak back out they will :)

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:46 pm

My ducks while here willingly retuned to their coop every night at sun down. Never had a duck out past sun down. Never an issue. They followed me everywhere so it was very easy to train them to go to bed. Plus ducks love lavender so I also put lavender down as a 'reward' in their coop. Not that it wasn't pooped all over within 5 mins.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Our ducks go in every night. It does not matter the breed.

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:32 pm

I think what GW said is an excellent idea. I've seen hutches used for ducks and geese. What about the calf hutch in a secured predator proof run and let them come and go as they please. Ducks do like to mess around at night.
Andy :egg:

mushmick
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Calf hutch and a few ducks

Post by mushmick » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 pm

I am using a calf hutch for our two ducks. This is our first go around with ducks and so far we have been enjoying them. I am worried about the winter weather that will be on us before long.
The hutch came with fencing that we have attached chinken wire to to reduce the hole size. I also added a small kidney shaped pool which is In kept in the fenced in area and we got a small kiddie pool for them that is in the yard for them to use while out of the enclosure.
So any way my question is on the hutch and winter, Do you place straw in the entire fenced in area and inside the hutch or just inside the hutch? They have had straw in the hutch since putting them into the outside enclosure in the late Spring.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello and welcome.
Why don't you go to the new here section and tell us a bi about yourself
I'm New Here Introductions
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:23 am

I put straw just inside their coop or nesting areas. If you put it in their run, it will become a thick, heavy, cemented carpet that is impossible to remove without power equipment. Like a sheet of lead. Ducks like to be outdoors year round, and their wet poops quickly turn straw into daub and wattle.

mushmick
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by mushmick » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks for insight. Now if I could just get them to go in every night. It normally ends in a Ring Around The Posey type ordeal and you need more than one person to direct them into the enclosure. I only feed them at late evening. You would think they would go in then to eat but, they end up going the other way. I can only get with in arms lengths to the two of them. They do get treats once in a while but they don't get any closer than an arms length away. They were handled everyday before being placed into the outside enclosure. They do follow me but won't go in the hutch if I am out there or near by.

Return to “Waterfowl Discussion”