Calf hutch and a few ducks

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:34 am

Ok, I think I'm pretty flipping brilliant for this idea. But I'm going to put it out there for the experienced to show me any flaws.

I had ducks last year. Holy sloppy mess! They had the potential to ruin a new coop in 6 months. poop up the walls, poop on the door, poop in corners that I didn't even think their ass would meet. I remember one day I had to be gone all day so I left them in the pen with a kiddie pool and their coop door open. I can't even tell you the melt down I had when I got home. More water in the coop than in the pool but the happiest ducks ever. I don't even know how that is possible, but it happened.

Anyways, so ducks went to a new home, better home. I need a better set up to have them again. So I got brilliant one evening and had an aaahhh ha! Moment.

Calf hutch. Omg! Smart eh? I can attach the hutch to a solid floor to secure them, put on a hinge and locking door to secure them and make a small pen for them on the days I'm not allowing them to free range for whatever reason. I can power wash the hutch on change litter change outs. Power wash! Brilliant!!

In the winter Lou suggested wrapping the hutch in the thermal insulator blankets. We'll see. My coops don't have insulation so I'm not overly worried about it.

Anyways, ducks, calf hutch. Thoughts??

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:51 am

They get very warm in summer so would need to leave the roof vent open and the door. I have Call ducks in a wooden home made coop with an attached run that I hose off anyway, the wood is stained for protection.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:27 am

What about putting down wire and covering with sand or gravel for drainage?

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 am

G Williams wrote:QR_BBPOST What about putting down wire and covering with sand or gravel for drainage?
You mean under the hutch? I want it to have a floor for their protection. I would worry about predators digging under and the threat to the ducks. I don't intend for them to be in there except to sleep. All my capable poultry free range.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:00 am

WaupoosCowgirl wrote:QR_BBPOST They get very warm in summer so would need to leave the roof vent open and the door. I have Call ducks in a wooden home made coop with an attached run that I hose off anyway, the wood is stained for protection.
At night? everyone gets lock down at night. I wouldn't leave the door open for their own protection. During the day they'd be out ranging and I'm going to train these ones to go to the river half way back on the property during the day. I make ice blocks and throw in the pool for those who want to cool down.

But I would leave it all open to ensure it doesn't incubate during the summer and for ventalation

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Burying wire under the hutch is for the purpose of stopping predators. It would have to be attached to the hut where the hut meets the ground. Open the door to free range.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:36 pm

G Williams wrote:QR_BBPOST Burying wire under the hutch is for the purpose of stopping predators. It would have to be attached to the hut where the hut meets the ground. Open the door to free range.
Ok ok, I might like this. I see where you're going. What about bedding?

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 pm

I know nothing about ducks, except that I really want Mandarin ducks, but have decided not to get ducks.

Anyways just some food for thought and maybe is really not an issue???.... but having your captive ducks visit the local river would greatly increase their exposure to wild bird pathogens, especially during migration and if any wild ducks nest in the area.

Again maybe not really much of an issue, I don't know. None of my birds, except a few guinea fowl free range, due to being away from home long hours, too many predators, plus live on a main road, so not really an expert on free ranging.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 am

You could hutch and pen them down at the river. Feed only in the hutch at nights. Pen has to have the heavy gage wire on floor, sides and roof. Make sure the link is so small they can't get head through. Years ago we had it to large, stupid ducks would poke head through and an owl was clipping them off trying to drag them out.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:05 am

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST
G Williams wrote:QR_BBPOST Burying wire under the hutch is for the purpose of stopping predators. It would have to be attached to the hut where the hut meets the ground. Open the door to free range.
Ok ok, I might like this. I see where you're going. What about bedding?
Something course like straw.

Return to “Waterfowl Discussion”