Question Tipping and wobbly **HELP NEEDED**

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Tipping and wobbly **HELP NEEDED**

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:14 pm

A nest fell on the ground & our poodle went to investigate. Was stung Many times & she just dropped to the ground. She was not able to walk without falling over for a few days. We gave her benadryl every day & within a few days she completely recovered.
Good Luck Sandy, hope your duck is feeling better soon!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks PP. I don't see much improvement today over the last 2. Tough call because he keeps up with the other ducks, eats and drinks fine, but stability is still a problem. The Muscovy females are protective of him.

My heart is breaking watching him get around. I'm not sure when enough is enough. Is there is pain associated with this or what's going on for him. Ducks are different for me than chickens. :(

Apple cider vinegar in all the waters today.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 am

had a greyhound got into a ground wasp nest, she collapsed, we had to carry her back to the house, hubby carried and while we headed back to the house i was just stripping handfuls of wasps and crushing them....hundreds of them. i got her onto benadryl right away, called the vet, and it was a week before she was out of the woods....benadryl 3 times a day. the poor thing. her head and face was so swelled up, vet said she was doing great, but OMG she looked awful. and it was a good 2 weeks before she got her bearings back to normal and she never went into that part of the forest ever again, scarred for life. maybe keep giving the duck the benadryl for a couple days yet and see if he comes around...it will take a long time to metabolize all that poison. we swell like mad, and he's what 1/20000 our size? poor thing. did he get a vinegar/water swim? wouldn't hurt the other ducks to just fill the pool with it....just splash some cider vinegar or white vinegar into the pool....will help take care of any algae too LOL hope he's feeling better really really soon.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:27 am

Ok, I'll keep on him with benedryl and give much more time to come around. I am heading out to fill the pools (he likes the litter box one still so i fill both) but I'll have to catch him to put him in it. I don't think he'd get in on his own. Eeek! He's going to freak. Muscovy females don't like me chasing him either, they flap their wings at me standing up straight.

He was so covered in wasps I didn't know what animal it was running out of the bush at first. And a cloud of them after him. Almost a nightmare visual.

Dean said as long as he is part of the pack they will take care of him, and so far that is holding true. Fingers crossed.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:12 pm

So I bathed him with the ACV despite the protest and under the watchful eye of my one female Muscovy (must be great mothers because tbey are only 3 1/2 months old).
Then I rubbed him down with ACV straight power and I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think I see improvement already. I'm going to soak him again at bedtime.
Fingers crossed I will see a bigger improvement tomorrow. He deserves it, poor little guy.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:21 pm

he could also be suffering from the crazy itches....and bathing him let him get scratched....lol. i hope he continues to improve...fingers crossed (and toes and everything else i can muster to cross for you!).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:20 pm

These wasp stories all sound horrible. The one I have is hilariously not funny then but definitely funny now.

My parents lived in a subdivision for many years. So surrounded by neighbours.

My mom was trimming the hedge. You know with that weird saw thing? Front lawn. Well didn't she destroy a hornets nest? She was swarmed. Screaming and running in circles. My dad was chasing her trying to swat them away with a towel and a broom.

Neighbors called police and one of them jumped my dad thinking domestic abuse.

Police were there instantly and good thing because she needed an ambulance. Almost
100 stings. She's lucky to be alive.

I'm seriously laughing typing this because it's a story that is told regularly at family functions. Even tho we have all heard it a hundred times we laugh because of how my mom tells it. It gets exaggerated a little more each time.

Ahhhh fun times.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:29 pm

My Muscovy taking care of my Swedish duckling.
image.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:33 pm

That's cute. It'll likely help the little guy too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Hope you keep up with the Benadryl until he's doing better. Benadryl does more than help to calm the itch and bring down the swelling. It will make him drowsy, and if he's snoozing, he's not suffering as much as if he's awake.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Waterfowl Discussion”