Townsend Lake

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
nikijack
Newly Hatched Chick

Townsend Lake

Post by nikijack » Wed May 31, 2023 3:47 pm

Hello: Just picked up a red and a white from Pullets Plus. They are frightened, especially when my Poodle barks at them. I have had hens since 2012, but quit because of the nasty neighbours and varmints. maybe the poodle will protect them. cheers, Jack

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: Townsend Lake

Post by thegawd » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 am

Welcome to the club!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Townsend Lake

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:14 pm

Hopefully, your poodle will settle down soon and stop scaring the bejeezus out of them. Our poodle stands/sits guard while we are inside the coop or run, and he's pretty good about ignoring them if they are out in the yard, but that said, I wouldn't trust him if we weren't out there with them. He doesn't have a high prey drive, but everyone(thing) loves chicken, so if hungry enough and given the opportunity .... He didn't need a lot of training, and we found it was pretty easy to do: we made sure we had lots of high-value reward treats on hand.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”