First time posting

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Billy Grasser
Newly Hatched Chick

First time posting

Post by Billy Grasser » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:23 pm

Been a member for 2 years but have never been active in any threads on here. I'm currently running a fiscal year test on a dozen red layers, keeping track of daily production and expenses when they occur. I will be making a post about that next September as well as running a similar test on meat birds that I'll share the figures on as well. I'm from the New Liskeard area and I'm a trapper as well so I'll try to comment on predator themed threads to the best of my ability. I was a member of a few Facebook pages that I can no longer find so this site has the potential to be the go to media for poultry related discussions, sales, events etc. in the province. Keep up the good work admins

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: First time posting

Post by WLLady » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:34 pm

welcome!!! i have noticed a huge change over in the fb groups too...well we wont be going anywhere here!! and thank you for the kind words!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:22 am

@Billy Grasser hello and welcome!
New Liskeard is a lovely area. We used to pass through on our way to Esker Lakes and the Howard Lake chain.
We'd love to hear from you and comments on predator control are welcome, many on here have had problems.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am

I used to think I was sort of a trapper. Moved here from Alberta. No rats there. Here, I have rats, chewing holes in the corner of the coup. My trapping skills (or lack thereof) dont seem to keep up with the buggers. I have had Hawk brand blocks out all summer. It has slowed them I think, but yesterday, I was gifted a bag of gel packets with a different poison agent, darn I hope it works. When I was putting it out, I was poking it with a stick into the ratholes. About six weeks ago, a partly grown chick disappeared. Found it yesterday, desiccated and well chewed at one of the ratholes. They couldnt get it in I guess so.

I have trapped two fox and a skunk and a racoon in the ten years I have been here, and they are not a real problem. But these rats. I am sure hoping this poison works.

So ols trapper question. What are you mostly after in your area? Beaver I imagine. Ice will be here soon so you can go out and set under it near the house and/or feed pile. Last I heard, the castors were worth more than the fur. Is it still that way?

One other question. Where I grew up, a lot of fur critter carcasses got thrown out into the barn yard, and the chickens got to pick them apart. Do you do that? Feed the carcasses to the chickens? Others here will (I am sure) have a big yuck factor for that, but just wondering. I dont do that here, carcasses go out in the bush for recycle into nature.

Anyway, good to have you here, check in when you can.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

Well good day eh!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Hello and welcome! Keep posting we love to hear how others are doing, trapping, fishing, hunting and of course chickens. Everything is interesting. Even behaviors of meat chickens is interesting to hear about. Mustn't forget ducks, quail, horses, cattle and pigs. Love them all!!

Billy Grasser
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Billy Grasser » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Farrier 1987, I've never seen a rat in my life. Even when I live down near North Bay we didn't have them, sorry I can't help with that particular issue. I trap beaver, muskrat, otter, muskrat, mink,marten, fisher, fox, weasels, raccoon, coyotes and though I've caught one wolf, I don't brag about my wolf skills as they've gotten the best of me more times than I can recall. There's lynx here but I don't have a quota on my license for private property. All my carcasses go back out as bait. You are correct that the beaver casters are more valuable than the hide. Most trappers are accustomed to not making a lot of money in the industry so as long as we can keep Fur Harvesters Auction open, we'll be able to ride out this low point
Last edited by Billy Grasser on Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Welcome & enjoy .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jenny d
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jenny d » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am

Oh man, I had to look up what castors/castoreum was.

Oh my. :shocked:
I want all the chickens :chickennet:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Jenny d wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am
Oh man, I had to look up what castors/castoreum was.

Oh my. :shocked:
So did I!
When available, our hens get fish carcasses. However, they have also been given venison bones with bits of meat still attached.
And welcome to PTO!
Oh, and... I use Excel to calculate the numbers, e.g. Average #eggs/day; cost of hens/day; total dozen egg production; my egg cost/doz; and egg income.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”