Hello from London Area

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Hello from London Area

Post by Mfrase27 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Hey all! Thought I’d make an introduction because I could use some help.

I started this summer with 2 “red hens”. They are of Rhode Island Red descent but are mostly mutts ;) Disclosed before purchase. They laid wonderfully and were so sweet. I was immediately hooked and picked up a silkie hen and chick. Chick is *hopefully* female - it’s about 7 months old and doesn’t crow 🤷🏻‍♀️. I thought I was set until spring but on Christmas Eve a hawk killed one of the reds. Her name was Dove and she was such a sweet bird. Obviously, I was upset. We have since made the coop hawk-proof. However, I still have a hen who has no roosting buddy. The silkies nest on the ground and she seems unwilling to join them. She also followed the other hen’s lead for where to roost, where to lay, etc. She seems lonely. I would like to add a bird or two so she isn’t alone but can’t seem to find where to look. I’m looking for a hen who would lay a coloured egg. I’ve been to two auctions, no luck. I don’t want young chicks or eggs (even though you can’t ship them now anyways). Kijiji seems to have a few, but they are paired with roosters -which I can’t have where I live. Plus, the silkies came from kijiji and they had lice. I don’t want to deal with that again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this! And thank you more if you have suggestions ❤️

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Hello from London Area

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:02 pm

welcome to pto!!!
you have come to the right place if you are looking for help getting chickens lol. we are most happy to help
there are a few of us from around london area. you are looking for a green or blue layer or brown or? alas mites and lice are a problem for everyone off and on-they are carried by mice and wild birds so many of us end up treating a few times a year depending on the weather etc. its just one of those things of having poultry. i would strongly recommend a quarantine period away from your other birds before housing together so you can nuke issues like that before they spread. there is a woodstock buy/sell/trade. the london auction can be hit or miss honestly. i have some easter eggers growing out but they havent started laying yet so no clue what colour they will lay...hopefully they will start soon.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello and welcome to PTO! I'm sorry about your girl, Dove. Losing one is never easy.
I can't help you with hens but I'm sure there will be no lack of advice and offers here. Best of luck.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:17 am

Hello and Welcome. You are in a good area to get a bird or two from our members. Sorry about Dove, it is never easy to lose one.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 am

Welcome & good luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am

Welcome. I am near Chatham and would probably have a girl or two for you. You could send a personal message (PM) if you were interested in going that far and are invited to visit. See my falcon and chickens and goats and things. Warning: You must be able to put up with a sarcastic hillbilly.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:27 am

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! Dove was the friendliest of the group so we do miss her.

What do you use for lice? I ended up with DE because that’s what the farmer down the road said to do. It worked but I was kind of surprised when she said I didn’t have that many options?

As for colour, I just don’t want brown. I would love blue or green but I’d also take cream, tinted, dark and/or speckled. I have two daughters (5&2) and they love knowing which bird the egg came from. They were over the moon when the silkie laid a few eggs- they were small and white with a pink hue haha. But it’s not all for them, I love the idea of a diversified egg collection. Should I post in the wanted section as well? I don’t want to clutter the boards if people check both places...

Thank you all again! ❤️

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am

I use Carbaryl when mites turned up here, I had been using Ivermectin Pour on for worms and mites. Apparently Sevin (carbaryl) it isn't available anymore. I'm using my stash! I think somebody said you may find it in the gardening area of a store, perhaps they can remind us?
Molting / Moulting
Here is a link that may help. I do put DE in coops when I clean and in dust baths.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm surprised DE worked for you, I find it useless.
This time of year most people have sold off their extra hens but a buy sell trade would be a good place to go but be prepared to deal with lice,mites etc. Better to buy chicks even though a chance of getting roosters.
In the spring more hens will be available as breeders decide who to keep and who to sell. If you do buy, buy 2, one new hen alone doesn't do well.
Too bad you didn't post sooner just sold my last blue wheaten ameraucana pullet.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:33 pm

Welcome! Lots of great advise here. I do agree with everyone's comments. Buy 2 of the same type, everyone likes a friend. Mites and lice are facts of chicken life, lots of great ideas on how to get rid of them. I like @Killerbunny method for getting rid of them. Best of luck!

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”