Hello from Hamilton

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Windrush
Newly Hatched Chick

Hello from Hamilton

Post by Windrush » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here, and new to chickens! There is so much to learn, I look forward to reading through this forum and learning from you all.

My husband and I are looking to build a coop for the spring and acquire some buff Orpington chicks. Perhaps 6-8. They don't need to be show quality.

There's a bit of snow on the ground this morning, and I'm already dreaming of springtime! Does anyone have a great coop design they would like to share with me? I will have a look through other topics as I'm sure there's a tread. I've been looking at the backyardchickens website but many of them are unsuitable for Ontario... or coyotes. We are in a very windy area and I want a design that keeps the ladies warm throughout the winter, and safe from predators.

Also, does anyone know where I could get some Orpingtons in the spring? I'm willing to drive. I've heard varied reviews from performance poultry. If anyone has another breed suggestion, I'm open to anything that would be docile, perhaps even friendly, with my kids (we have three under 3yo) and dual purpose.

Cheers.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Hello from Hamilton

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 am

:welcome:
Quite a few people in your area have chickens so you should be able to get nice healthy stock reasonably close.
Warning - you said 6-8 roflmbo :laugh: - chicken math will set in. Build a bigger coop than you think you need (or 2). Ask as many questions as you like we won't diss you we were all there once.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 am

welcome to PTO! i hope you enjoy the forum, and there's lots of great people and great advice here as well. yes, um.....first lesson would have to be chicken math. second is build way bigger than you think you need. because, you will *need* LOL for example....i started with ordering 10. got 12 from the hatchery. i don't know what i have now...chickens, turkeys, breeding lines, projects....i swear chickens are a gateway bird to guineas and turkeys too....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 am

Welcome , have fun ,
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 am

Welcome! Im in year 3 of chickens and totally addicted!! I started with 6 beauty mixed breeds....I now have 17 chickens, 6 of which are purebred ameraucana. lol. They are very entertaining! Have fun!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 am

:welcome: to :PTO:
There are a lot of wonderful and very knowledgeable folks here..never be shy about asking..we think respect is a priority and like it that way...so just have fun and jump right in.

As to coop, everyone is right..chicken math is a real thing so take that into consideration when building a coop...make it big...easy to get into and clean...properly ventilated...not drafty but insulation is not mandatory ...those little things you see made out if osb and chicken wire at TSC are a definite waste of time so avoid that kinda thing...think Fort Knox when thinking predators...after that, almost anything goes...it has to suit you and your way of doing things
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Welcome to PTO!!!

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Welcome to PTO! If you don't have chickens yet, start building your coop(s) I started with 3 and within a week I have 5..that was 3 coops ago and I have to stop myself every day from adding to my flock. Enjoy the stories and have fun!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello and welcome! What everyone else has said...started with 10 day olds and I'm at 22 7 years later! I've never had Orpingtons but I've read that they are a very family friendly choice. Of the 3 breeds I have I would recommend Barred Rocks for a family as well. Curious and friendly.
I'm in an area with a lot of coyotes as well. I have lost birds to them over the years-both times in mid day. I used to free range every day but now they only get outside when my dogs can be out and I'm home. It doesnt guarantee their safety but it certainly increases their odds. Because of that I'd recommend a safe attached run (preferrably with a roof and a great cross breeze). Something that can get tarped in winter so they still have access. It will make your experience better if you're not worrying about them or feeling guilty about them penned up. You also won't feel as tied down rushing home to lock them in for safety. Happy researching!
Last edited by Happy on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

:welcome:
What great opportunity, you can avoid all the mistakes we all made ;)
Great hobby, you will love it.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”