Hello new here

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
pinkkarma
Newly Hatched Chick

Hello new here

Post by pinkkarma » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I have met some on here I am sure. Have lots of birds, I live in the city so only keep limited small game birds pigeons etc..

My parents have a lake with swans geese etc.. in kingston

I live in brampton

been thinking of getting a muscovy. I have a 20 penn. Parents are looking for smaller more quiet geese species. Chuckars, or any fancy game birds.

I am also on fb if anyone would like to talk. Have 3 male quail as well.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Hello new here

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm

well good day and welcome eh!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Hello and welcome!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Welcome!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Hello and welcome!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Hello and welcome @pinkkarma ...lots of great folks here from whn you can get info or just to chat and make new friends... :welcome:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Welcome to :PTO:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 am

Welcome to PTO!
Hmmm, "quiet" geese you say? They don't exist. Muscovies are VERY quiet, Egyptian "geese" are quiet, but neither of those are actually related to geese at all. Anything in the anser family is LOUD, but if your parents have their heart set on geese, and value peace and quiet, get only a pair (much quieter in a pair than either alone or in a flock) and never allow the female to sit a nest. As an only pair, they will still yell occasionally at passing traffic, or the dog, or an airplane flying overhead, but they won't be honking every five minutes.
An alternative would be to get only females--their honks tend to be much less obnoxious than the males. Any kind of (actual) geese they get will freely interbreed with any they already have, and then the noise results are less predictable.
I highly recommend muscovies. Females make a quiet "boop" sound if disturbed or broody, and will SQUACK (though not as loud as regular ducks) if frightened, and males just generally make quiet huffing noises. They are generally quiet, peaceful birds. Even their Spring jostling for mating rights is silent except for the odd flapping noise. Only downsides to muscovies are: 1.) They are almost as vulnerable to predators as regular domestic ducks. They are lovers, not fighters, though I once had a fat elderly drake drive a hawk off a duckling and then chase it 12 feet into the air. 2.) They fly. Quite a lot, especially in Spring, and especially young females. If you don't want to chase them down off of a neighbours' roof, clip a wing. 3.) They are pigs. They will hoover great quantities of food, any food, and some things no sane creature would consider to be food; so fast that any of your other birds might not have even got a look at it. They will readily get fat if you let them. An upside to this is that a: fat birds don't fly, and b: such a food-centered bird is very easily hand-tamed if you're so inclined. 4.) Being a flying and "roosting" species, their claws are MUCH sharper than regular duck claws, and their legs and feet are stupid strong, especially the males. The claws don't LOOK like much, but actually are almost talons. If you pick one up that is not used to being handled, or just doesn't want to be, and don't control their feet first and foremost, you may find one of those claws has gone right through your hand or belly. Most other poultry are picked up by holding their wings on either side and simply hoisted up. Muscovies don't generally like this at ALL and will flail feet until they find purchase. In your skin.
Jeez, wind me up and watch me go roflmbo ANYWAY, a most hearty welcome to the best poultry forum in Ontario!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 pm

welcome! can't help with the geese.....lol. Hope you enjoy the forum!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Welcome to PTO!

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”