DC Heritage Poultry Shawville QC

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: DC Heritage Poultry Shawville QC

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Mycoplasma gallisepticum is also transmitted via the egg so there can be problems there too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Reboot
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Reboot » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Thank you all for the support and advise.

After discussing it with my wife we decided to cull. I have just finished a 30 year career as a road cop so you'd think that culling would be no problem. I must admit it was an easy decision but a very unpleasant task and not one I wish to repeat again that way. I've spoke with Freys in St Jacobs and they may not have the variety of breeds but they have the food inspection certification which at this point is more important for us due to our lack of experience. Once we've been at this a bit longer we'll start to know who to trust and where we can go for safe heritage birds that my wife really wanted but for now we will settle for New Hampshire Reds.

The coop was emptied, blown out with a power blower and washed down with Vikron. Next batch of 'day olds' is coming next week (big, deep breath in). DC Heritage Poultry is aware of our original loss as I told them I was not happy and they offered us a credit on the first 7 birds. Surprisingly they mentioned 3 other customers of theirs just had the same problem we had which they put down to transport stress again but I agree with a previous poster; that illness was already there and MG bacteria is vertically transmitted if I recall correctly from my research in that hens can pass it on in the egg.

I followed up my original complaint to the supplier and stated due to the infection situation they likely still have there I was not interested in any more of their birds plus we are not down 7, we lost them all and if she wants pictures to prove it I'll provide them. For goodness sake we have neighbours with back yard flocks and friends who have large heritage flocks on their farms and I know none of them would want to see us walking up their driveway in HazMat suits I'm sure. That would be the only way we'd feel comfortable visiting anymore and rest assured they, friends/neighbours, won't come here if we still had the birds!

I certainly deserve an F grade for my homework efforts on that original chick purchase.

3 other chick buyers are confirmed out there with seriously sick birds from this business. I saw at least two (maybe even three) full size barns which I was told was full of birds when I picked the chicks up but I was not allowed into the facility where the birds were. I was the only person buying anything there but there were almost a dozen vehicles parked in the yard so this must be a pretty big operation and they ship all over the country by post or air travel. Wow.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Yes that is a job that sucks. I got my very first birds from Freys and they did well. I think you'll be happy with them.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm

I’m so sorry. I’m the biggest bleeding heart and my birds are not livestock to me...they are pets and family. But having said that I know that you did the only responsible thing that you could have in the situation that you were put in. Disease is spread so easily in poultry and the only thing worse than being responsible for the care of sick birds is being responsible for passing that illness on to your friends and neighbors flocks as well and you recognized that and took action. Don’t be so hard on yourself. My original birds are from Frey’s (Barred Rocks) and they’ve been a pleasure to have. I have 3 left that still lay from 3 to 6 eggs a week right now at the ripe old age of 6 or 7 (I’ve lost track!)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Think of it as learning all the lessons in one big swoop, kudos for not getting discouraged.
It has been quiet on the DCHeritage poultry for a few years, so I was hoping they have gone out of business, no such luck I guess.
Had a friend purchase few chicks from them in 2014 and lost all in the first week, luckily they were in isolation on a non poultry farm, so she didn't lose her flock.
I also started with Barred Rocks from Frey's about 20 years ago, lovely birds, might have stuck with them but for the single combs.
I am sure you will enjoy your new flock, and it will give you plenty of time to find out exactly which breed(s) are in your poultry future. :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 pm

yep-what they said. its the right thing...and will save you a lot of suffering and heartache. definitely not easy though. i am sorry.
i started with 10 mixed from freys. i couldnt decide so i just gor their mixed pack lol. they were awesome birds. one went broody and i got a rooster and let her sit and she hatched chicks and brooded them with the flock. good hearty birds! so now-you need to be aware of chicken math. thats the next lesson. you have already learned all the hard stuff all at once. hang in there...many of us have been where you are...it totally sucks.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Reboot
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Reboot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:05 pm

After culling the flock we took the coop apart and washed it down with Virkon. We've also contacted Josh Haisma and Kevin Seward (he's just down the road from us) who may be able to bail us out with Marans and Wyandotes so we don't miss the year all together. Thank you everyone for the help.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am

Just a quick comment. Most breeders, especially larger scale like Performance Poultry won't allow you near any stock for Biosecurity reasons and this is a good thing. It's also why you see shady people in parking lots (us) dealing "the stuff" (our birds).
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:31 am

hey! i resemble that remark! (shady people in parking lots....i do believe i'm meeting tomk this sunday...in a timmies....bring a crate or two tom!) LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Just chiming in my welcome. I'm a beginner here, but as you can see, you have come to the right place to get advice from some experts!

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”