Hi from Camlachie

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Kelly_family
Newly Hatched Chick

Hi from Camlachie

Post by Kelly_family » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi! New to this group. We got our chickens almost a year ago. Had 7 and are down to 4. Getting 10 new from the hatchery on Tuesday.
I'd love thoughts and advice on adding the 10 to our coop. When we added 2 last summer to our 5 we just added them and had no issues.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Hi from Camlachie

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello and welcome. Lots of folks to help you out here!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:30 pm

well gidday and welcome eh! :farmer: :beer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi, welcome to :PTO:
Andy :egg:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:15 pm

:welcome: to PTO!
I'm a bit heartless when it comes to adding new birds. I put new ones in at night, and let them sort themselves out the next day. If I have a hen I suspect will be overly aggressive, I move her/them to a shed they're not used to. Often, taking a bully out of her comfort zone will give her pause and establish a new pecking order without bloodshed. After 3 or 4 days they can be moved back to home turf. If I find I have a chronic bully, I eat them. Others here do things differently!
The main thing to remember though, no matter how you go about it, is to quarantine new birds for a time (most do it for a month), because anytime you stress chickens, like moving to a new coop or adding new birds, any hidden diseases they might be carrying can start to 'shed'. If new birds are hiding something, your existing flock can get sick, and if the existing flock has a hidden infection, you can end up killing the new birds.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:50 pm

had to look up where camlachie is but a most hearty welcome from the other side of the self proclaimed centre of the universe...lol... :welcome: to :PTO: .... I agree with www...quarantine for a while...and put them together at night..and watch the next day...you may be lucky in the numbers game adding more than are in original group...lots of good advice here by some incredibly generous friendly folks...enjoy... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm

hiya! and welcome!!!!

yeah, i'm ruthless too. after mandatory quarantine i just pop them all together and let them sort themselves out. if anyone gets particularly nasty and won't quit they get removed and thrown back on the roost (gently) in the dark. seems the dark somehow "resets" them and they just wake up the next morning and are all, oh, you were here all night, you must be okay.....(wee brains sometimes).

now, adding roosters together is a little tougher, they just won't quit sometimes, so they end up in crates beside each other (and out of reach) and slowly moved closer and closer until one day i "forget" to close the doors....they'll work it out....most of the time.

hope you enjoy the forum!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Hello, and welcome!
When we added new pullets, straight from the hatchery, we put them straight into their coop (with water & a bit of food) and let them come out when they were ready to venture where there were older birds. It worked out fine.

Kelly_family
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Kelly_family » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Ok thanks everyone. We got 10 from the hatchery. I put the old birds outside to roam and will add them back into the coop tonight and hope for the best. No quarantine. Fingers cross it works out ok.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Good luck with getting them established together!
And welcome to :PTO:!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”