New to chickens from London Ontario area

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
pungar
Newly Hatched Chick

New to chickens from London Ontario area

Post by pungar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi all. I have a shed to use for laying chickens this spring. I have no clue what to do now though..............help!

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: New to chickens from London Ontario area

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Welcome to :PTO:
So what kind of chickens are you looking for? Heritage, laying, egg colour, dual purpose?
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Welcome & ask away . Maybe you could mentor up with someone on here close to you & go see there set up & pick there brains BEFORE you get chickens . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 pm

:welcome: to PTO! And welcome to the Light side of The Force :D or, the Dark, depending on how you look at it.
Does your shed have windows? An enclosed run attached so the hens can go outside? Any vents in the eaves? Is it metal or wood? Has it already got places to roost, and to lay eggs? They'll lay eggs anywhere, but on the floor they'll get kicked around and pooped on. Oh, and you'll need a spot for dirty bedding and poop.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Hello and welcome! Ross has a great suggestion there. My best advice is to make your coop Fort Knox and when you think it's done it isn't! Welded wire everywhere and over every opening and really good ventilation are your two big things to get right from the start. What breeds have you been looking into?

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Welcome to PTO :) A shed is a great starting place.
  • Have you thought about raising from day-old chicks or getting 20 wk old birds that are about to get started on their laying career?
  • Think about how many eggs you would like a week.
  • Commercial hens lay 300+ a year, Heritage birds lay less but they're cool looking.
Just hang around here for a few weeks before you decide, education here is free. Ask lots of questions, you'll always get an answer.

Oh, beware of 'Chicken Math'. Most people say they are getting 4 or 5 hens and end up with 60! Chicken Math is real :help:
Andy :egg:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Hello and Welcome. What they all said!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

pungar
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by pungar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Oh my gosh. Many ideas and things to think about. I will attempt to answer them here. Hopefully that's OK.

We want to have fresh eggs for ourselves and our family. Possibly 6-10 eggs a day. Have no idea what breed so need help there. Can we have a few from chicks for our grand-kids to experience life from the beginning.....or almost the beginning otherwise we like the idea of laying ready chickens. The idea of eggs all summer fall and through the winter if it is possible. We are not apposed to having a few in the freezer once they stop laying.

The house is a 5" by 8" by 7" tall hardwood shed with a double door at the front and openings I can install a few windows in . Steel roof and hardwood floor. I will need to make a run for the chickens though.
So did I answer all the questions........Thanks for your help

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Hiya! And welcome!!
Are you right in London or outside London? To get 6-10 eggs a day you pretty much need 6-10 hens....and they are not as quiet as they seem to be!! If you are right in town you will want to be very sure your neighbours arent going to have issues....(sorry but harsh reality and london doesnt have a backyard chicken policy as far as i know)

A shed already in decent condition will make things easy for you! You will want a window or two and vents and....well....fort knox lol. A lockable door. Screens on all the windows and vents. A run outside with wire and a roof-even just a mesh roof to keep the hawks away and coons from climbing over. Dig the fence in about a foot into the ground to stop enterprising diggers from digging under.

And my final advice for now-start with ready to lay. Maybe 3-4 of them....get used to the adults with a smaller number and then in the future you can get chicks-they need quite a bit more babying....get used to the adults first-or well started youngsters-after the threat of things like coccidiosis etc.

And ask!! Whatever you want and need!! Lots of helpful folks here on the forum!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

pungar
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by pungar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm south of Aylmer along the lake on a farm yard
. OK. I will start with 3 or 4 ready to lay. Any suggestions on what variety and were to purchase.
I can get the house ready no problem.

Thanks

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”